Mystery Medallion Quilt Block Challenge: Fabric Requirements

The Medallion Mystery Quilt Challenge is only one week away! Before we get started, we have some preliminary information to help you out.

First, we’d like to introduce Toby Lischko, our wonderful quilt designer for this challenge! Check out Toby’s website Gateway Quilts & Stuff to see more of her awesome designs! You can also find Toby on her blog, Facebook page, and Instagram.

If you haven’t signed up for the challenge there’s still time! Sign up now!

Second, and probably most important are the fabric requirements! There are two sizes for this challenge quilt, a bed size and a throw size. The fabric requirements for the bed size are listed first with the throw size requirements listed second in parenthesis. Lastly, we have also provided fabric color suggestions based on Toby’s choices when designing the quilt. Toby has also provided general instructions for cutting Half Square Triangles and Quarter Square Triangles as well as piecing instructions for Flying Geese and Diamond in a Square blocks, as these are both common throughout the quilt. Click the button below to get the instructions!

Once you choose your fabric, be sure to post photos of it on the Facebook group page!

721 Responses to “Mystery Medallion Quilt Block Challenge: Fabric Requirements”

Hello Janet,

If you are still not receiving the emails, please make sure to check your junk/spam folder to see if the emails are going in there.

1. Trish

I thought I had signed up already, but did not get the mailing with the fabric requirements, so I’ve signed up again! Very excited to get started. Thanks for the challenge!

2. Muriel

I want to make lap side mystery quilt. Are the directions fir part one all the same size for both sizes of quilts?

Hello Muriel,

Yes, it is the same for both sizes.

3. Deborah Worcester

Is the first block to be cut the same size for the lap size and the bed size??

Hello Deborah,

Yes, it is the same for both sizes.

We’d love to have you be a part of our community. We are convinced you will enjoy the benefits of becoming a member and having access to the best instructional how to videos and professional tips. We would like to offer you a special promotion for your first year membership.

4. Kathy Harvey

I am no longer on Facebook, so I hope everything I need will come by email. I really love your challenges. Everyone has produced a beautiful quilt for me to give to family!

5. Dorothy A Steingrubey

Why can’t I print all the pages. The only one that prints for me is page 3.

6. jeannette wade

Thank you for the information to start my quilt . I look forward to completing this one.

7. Carole

This looks like fun and I would love to join in. I want to make a throw for my son-in-law, Would flannel work for this project?
    Thanks for your guidance,Carole

Hello Carole,

Yes, You can absolutely use flannel for this quilt.

Hello Marlene,

We are sorry to hear that you are not able to download the fabric requirements. Please try clearing out your internet history/cache or using a different browser. If you still are having issues, please contact our customer service team at 1-855-706-3538, and they will troubleshoot the problem with you over the phone.

8. Rosalie Cohen

Will not be able to receive blocks. Hope I can catch when I come home. First time I saw this

9. Hannelore Hulick

I am really looking forward to this. I participated in the last one and had a lot of fun! Thank you for doing something like this. I’m fairly new and am learning so much.

10. Sharon Liberto

I have tried several times and this download is not working. Have tried thru the email and off the web site. Keeps coming up blank.

Hello Sharon,

11. Patty

I signed up for the Mystery Medallion quilt and got an email about fabric requirements but cannot bring this info up. What do I do?

Hello Patty,

Hello Thelma,

12. jlewin53

Going to do a quilt challenge…a good way to get through the upcoming cold weather.

Hello Patricia,

Yes, you can pick whatever colors as you would like.

Have fun!

13. Loraine

I have been able to save the link on Facebook on my iPad, but I want to print out a hard copy. Help😩

Hello Carol,

The challenge is for all levels of quilters. Make sure to join our Facebook Page as well. That group is very helpful with any questions you may have.

14. Kathy Brickey

Are the directions on Page 3 for Medallion Mystery Part 1, the first block sent early?

Hello Kathy,

We released the center block early, and will be re-releasing it with the full instructions again next Friday! You can go ahead and make it!

15. Vickie Stultz

Can’t find fabric requirements or block 1 of the Mystery Challenge thank you.

16. Sherry

So I have read the fabric requirements pages and am curious; are we supposed to make the 15 1/2 inch block that she describes in “Medallion Mystery Part 1? Is this part of the “mystery”, that you actually start a week early?

Hello Sherry,

17. Sharon L. Thornhill

Looks great………..but I cannot seem to find the different size instructions for blocks. my downloaded pages say there are 3 block sizes, but instructions for cutting only have sizes for one…………….which one??

Hi Sharon,

There are two sizes- a bed size and a lap size. The cutting instructions and piecing instructions are the same for both sizes for the first few weeks. When there are differences between the two we will let you know.

18. Georgia Sutt

Love these free patterns. Just finished Celaeno star. Just need to put them together

19. Ruth Hollandsworth

Have always wanted to do a mystery on-line class. Can we use fabric we already have?

Hello Ruth,

Yes, you can use whatever fabric you would like.

Enjoy!

20. Christine Groendyk

Just what I need, another project to work on! I always love mystery quilt challenges, so I am looking forward to taking the plunge.

21. Meghan Harms

So the backing requirement. Is is two pieces of 4 yds or 4 yds cut into two pieces? I would think the latter, but I want to double check.

Hello Meghan,

It is 4 yards cut into 2 pieces.

22. Leah

I’m looking forward to the new challenge. I wasn’t able to sew fot a whole due to pain in my hands but love to see all the beautiful pictures of everyone’s work.

Hi Pattie,

Please refer to the fabric requirements for each fabric needed for the quilt to know the amount of each that is needed.

23. bluequiltr2152

Got my fabric requirements and directions. Now to scour my stash to find the fabric! Very exciting!

24. Reberta Rhiddlehoover

Can’t wait to start this challenge. The Lexington Sampler was amazing!

25. LaTawnia

I am very excited to be a part of this Mystery Quilt Challenge. I will post my progress of it on my website as well as the Facebook group page. Thank you for this opportunity to make something beautiful and fun!

26. Debbie

The color choices are beautiful, I’m going to learn a lot . I don’t know what a Diamond in a Square is. So I might be in over my head!

Hi Robby,

Nope not this time. This is a Mystery Quilt.

Enjoy!

27. Cathy Wilson

I hope that this is pretty and more balanced than the last quilt- that was waaaaaaaaayyyyy over busy.

28. Diane Schmidt

Hope this works this time………… or I am done………… this is the 5th time I am trying to get fabric requirements………… Have joined 4 times and have never received am email.

29. Dottie

Are there cutting directions for Accuquilt dies? My arthritis limits my rotary cutter time.

Hello Dottie,

We don’t have cutting instructions for Accuquilt dies at this time, however I will reach out to them and see if that is something we can get.

30. Laurie Montminy

Have a goal to start sewing down my stash and this will make it fun. Thanks. Hopefully I’ll keep up with it.

31. Ruthie Mann

Thanks for allowing me to join your group. I’m from the great state of Texas. Been quilting for many years.

32. Judy Clssen

Only comment that I have is how it is important to receive newsletters …. that are full of ideas and news. Do not appreciate promotions …. promotions …. promotions

Hello Judy,

You can change the type of emails you receive from us using the Preference Center, located at the bottom of any of the emails we send out.

Hello Sandra,

We are sorry to hear that you are not able to open the file. Please try clearing out your internet history/cache or try a different browser. If you are still not able to open the file, please contact our customer service team at 1-855-706-3538, and they will troubleshoot the problem with you over the phone.

33. Glenda Ketterman

I signed up earlier but didn’t receive the first email with fabric requirements and the first block.

34. Pat Clark

My points aren’t perfect but I am pleased with the outcome. Adding a deeper green into my choice of fabrics

Hi Dianna,

Enjoy!

35. Sharon Judkins

It says that the mystery starts next week but included with the fabric requirements are the instructions for a 15.5 inch star block. Is this part 1?

Hello Sharon,

Enjoy!

36. Vicki Uehling

The last mystery quilt I did was to finish my mom’s up for her a year ago(she passed in 2002).

37. Maureen Oberdorfer

The Medallion Mystery Part 1 does not indicate cutting instructions for the Bed Quilt size. There are only the parenthesis for how many to cut for the lap quilt. Please correct these cutting instructions to include number to cut for bed quilt.

Hi Maureen,

No correction needed at this time- the cutting and piecing instructions for the bed size and lap size are the same for the first few weeks. When differences are needed between the two we will let you know!

38. Pamela Zajicek

Getting a late start. Everyone’s fabric selections are so pretty. Can hardly wait to see them finished. I’m not sure what colorway I will go with…my stash is needing to be sorted. I like way too many colors and choices. This will be fun, though. Making the bed size. Toby Lischko is one of my favorite designers. I have seen her designs for many years in quilt magazines and have enjoyed them so much. I know this will be very pretty.

39. Deb Sweet

Whow I’m impressed with the 2 sided printing. Thanks for doing that to save paper.
    I’m looking forward to your blocks. I’m using up stash!!!!!

40. Kaye Temanson

have signed up, but have not received any emails with fabric requirements and block instructions

41. Jeanelle Franks

i am going to do the throw – just to be different, and to use up some of my fabric, i’m going to do mine scrappy

42. Ginette Williams

Registered but did not get anything in e-mail I see people already completed first block……

Hello Ginette,

The challenge starts 10/19, we have not sent out block one as of yet. Even though you have sign up before you will want to make sure that you sign up for the challenge in the link below:

43. Rene Collett

Can you break out the piecing instructions for the bed quilt size verus the lap quilt size. Instructions were not clear.

Hello Rene,

The piecing instructions for the bed sizes and lap size are the same. When there are differences needed for the two- they will be clearly stated.

44. Meridel Cosgrove

I have signed up for this before but have received no emails. Now I see everyone has block 1 done.

Hello Meridel,

45. Carrie Nehls

I will be making the throw size. On the first set of instructions there is only one quantity listed for number of items to cut. Is this for bed size, throw size or some for both?

46. Dana Fadden

I would like to print the instructions but when I download them I can’t print them any suggestions?

Hi Dana,

We are sorry you are not able to print the instructions. Please contact our customer service team at 1-855-706-3538 or chat with us on our site and we can help trouble shoot the problem with you.

47. Carolyn Lewis

What day do the new blocks released on? This is the first time I’ve done a quilt along

Hello Carolyn,

Each block will be emailed out on Fridays.

Enjoy!

48. Linda Cancilla

Can’t wait for this challenge. I did Gina Doyle’s Pleadies Star quilt and it was both inspiring and challenging. I came away with skills that I continue to use and am a better quilter because if it

Hello Effie,

The center block is the last page of the fabric requirements sent out last Friday. We released the center block early, and will be re-releasing it with the full instructions again next Friday!

49. Carole

Thanks for your guidance,Carole

50. Elizabeth Robinson

I am really Looking forward to this, I need some motivation to get quilting again.

51. Mary Ellen

Looking forward to it. Still looking for the pattern. Not sure how others have their squares done already.

Hello Mary,

We released the center block early, and will be re-releasing it with the full instructions again next Friday! It’s on the last page of the fabric requirements. You can go ahead and make it!

Hello Carol,

52. Jammy Smith

I signed up at https://go.nationalquilterscircle.com/a13761/ but I don’t get any email about “Mystery Medallion Quilt Block Challenge: Fabric Requirements”. I have checked the junk or other folder, but still don’t find that email. I only realised the 1st block information was out from Facebook. Well, I managed to find the information here but I am not sure if I can receive an email for next block.

53. Paulette

Happy to be part of this group. Been quilting for a few years because my grandmother, who lived to 109, quilted for most of her life.

Hello Jeanette,

Block one of the challenge will be sent out today through email.

Enjoy!

54. Fran Melanson

Fran I have not received block one of the mystery medallion quilt challenge and can’t find it on this site. Help

Hello Fran,

We released the center block early, and will be re-releasing it with the full instructions again today. It was located on the last page of the Fabric Requirements download and will be emailed out today.

55. Rita Kinney

I’ve never done a mystery quilt block challenge. I’m just hoping I can keep up.

56. diana

This is the exact block I was about to do! I may have missed the names of the fabric..I will look again,if they are not names where can I get them in U.K.

Hello Willie,

The challenge is free of charge.

57. Penny

HELP! I have never did a quilt like this and need more explaining to understand….the fabric requirements is that for 1 block? Do I need to worry about getting more?also, what if you have never used a Matt and cutter can you measure and cut the blocks with scissors and it work out also?

58. maura Cunningham

There are so many comments that it gets overwhelming and I’m sure some information gets overlooked. I’m a visual learner and getting instructions without photos is throwing me. I know it’s a mystery quilt so I assume we don’t get to see it. Is it considered cheating to just see the finished block of the week? That would be really helpful.

59. Ronda Hurd

I want to do this, Sounds like so much fun! I am getting to the party late, however. Perhaps next year when I have more time to get fabrics purchased.

Hello Leah,

The blocks are emailed out weekly on Friday.

National Quilter Circle Video Membership

Hi Stacy,

Click on the blue Download Now button to see the fabric requirements.

60. NANCY CRAMER

I am not quilting as much any more. Maybe this will be a new inspiration. Thanks to whoever sent this because I am not on facebook.

61. GloriaAnn Curwin

Always want to see finished quilt before i make one to know if I like the design. What a waste if I don’t. Or if it ends up having applique I hate hate hate applique

62. Donna

I can’t find the measurements for Fabrics 5 through 8 only 1 through 4 on the instructions part 1 can you help me out with this

Hello Donna,

Fabric 5-Light- 2-1/4 yards -(1 yard)
      Fabric 6- Main print- 2-1/4 yards- (1 yard)
      Fabric 7- Medium- 1-1/8 yards- (Not used in lap)
      Fabric 8- Small border stripe+ 1-1/4 yards- (1-1/4 yards)

Hope this helps,

Hi Cynthia,

Block 2 will be emailed out this Friday. We are only on Block 1 at this time.

63. Susan Harvey

I was able to download the fabric requirements and the first block’s instructions. Since then I have received many emails from the company, however, none of them allow me to download the next instructions. I had no problem with the Lexington quilt pattern. What should I be looking for?

Hi Susan,

Block 2 will be emailed out this Friday. We are only on Block 1 at this time.

64. Ingrid Jatho

Thank you so much for all the information. I love the fabric colours and cannot wait to start!

Hello Ruth,

Week 2 will be send out next Friday through email. They are sent out each Friday.

65. Laurie

The last email I received was on 10/12 with Fabric Requirements…I thought it started on 10/19? I guess I am not sure what to expect as this is my first challenge. Laurie

66. Donna

Hi everyone I hope I can keep up I’m very new to sewing and I’m late getting started gla

67. jtutton_99

I have a question about the downloads. I downloaded both files, the fabric requirements and block 1. The first file stops at page 3, the second file says page 5, but it’s only a 1-page file.

68. Sheila Jones

I have pages 1-3 with the fabric requirements and the download this week for week 2 shows as page five. Did I miss page 4?
    Thanks for your trouble Sheila Jones

69. Amy Bennett

I was able to download the instructions and fabric requirements and I received the week 2 block, but can’t find a link to download the 1st block

70. Karen G Brown

Signed up for challenge at start. Updated Facebook on my phone, now can not get files to download pattern. Upsetting.

Hello Karen,

Please try refreshing your browser and accessing the downloads again. If this doesn’t work, I would suggest trying a different browser. If you are still experiencing issues, please contact our customer service team at 1-855-706-3538, and they can help troubleshoot your problem with you over the phone.

71. Nancy Tulloch

I received the Week one challenge instructions via email but the Week 2 (should have arrived in my inbox on Friday, October 26) didn’t arrive. Is there a glitch with the email? Hoping it can be resent. Thanks!

72. Phyllis Price

I thought I had signed up already, but I have only received the first for cutting instructions.

73. Barbara

I have not been able to get page 4 of the instructions. I contacted customer service and the link they sent didn’t have page 4 as well. Any suggestions?

74. Joyce P Schroeder

This is the third time I have registered to receive emails with directions for this quilt. I originally pulled the fabric requirements and first block from your website 10/21/18, but I have not received any emails to provide me with additional blocks since that time; I have checked my inbox, spam/junk folders, and all other locations of this email address, to no avail. If I do not receive the information to get caught up, I will have to forego making this pattern. Needless to say, I am rather disappointed at this point.

75. cowelk1

Somehow I missed week two, as well as the fabric requirements list….are they archived somewhere?

76. wanda Schneiders

For some reason I did not receive Block #2 download. Would you please resend it to me. Thanks!

77. Mary

Disappointed. Joined the challenge and received the blocks for the first two weeks but nothing since. How do I get the next blocks

Hi Vicki,

The challenge is 9 weeks long.

78. Adrienne

I have downloaded pages 1-3 and 5-7. What happened to page 4? I can’t find it anywhere.

79. Lottie Hackner

I joined however only have block #3 page 7 and pages 3 and 4. I dont have page 1, 2, 5, 6 and block #4. How can I get these to continue?

80. carol

Please can you help me please I joined the new mystery quilt and I had the 1st set of emails and today I got block 3 please where is block 2 I have checked my spam and my trash folders but its not there so can you tell me where I can get them Thank you

Hi Lindi,

The blocks are emailed out weekly on Fridays. Otherwise they are also posted on our Facebook Page “NQC Quilt Block Challenge.”

81. Diana

I have finally caught up with the instructions up to date. Thank you for these postings really helped. However I try to avoid 7/8ths and would like to do the blocks using my accuquilt 8” or 9” Qubes.
    I would love to see instructions for these and to know which dies to use from block 1onwards .
    Thank you for this challenge, Love seeing the fabulous results so far…x

82. Gail Fitzpatrick

Late to sign up, but ready to go. I have week one, but can’t find the rest. Thanks for any help.