In this session you will learn about all of the tools you will need to create your t-shirt quilt. This includes your basics, like a rotary cutter and rulers and also other supplies like interfacing for your t-shirts. You will then learn how to prepare your t-shirts to be incorporated into the quilt.
In this class you will learn how to create your own t-shirt quilt from start to finish. Kelly Hanson will show you how to interface and prepare your t-shirts, how to cut them, how to arrange them and also how to add sashing strips.
You will first learn what type of interfacing you should use to stabilize your t-shirts and why. Kelly explains how the product she uses adds structure to the t-shirts but won’t rip or tear if the t-shirt gets stretched during the piecing or quilting process.
She will then teach you how to cut your t-shirts. She will explain the common sizes of blocks that are cut depending on the size of t-shirt you are starting with, but also how to work around the t-shirt design, neck edge and arm holes. Kelly also shows you how to use up any small leftover t-shirt pieces or the backs of t-shirts to make accent blocks that can be added to your quilt design.
Once your stabilized t-shirts have been cut into blocks you will learn how to sort them to begin arranging them into your quilt design. Get tips for how to lay the block out in ways to add the most visual interest. This includes how to space out colors and group similar designs. Kelly will also show you how to use inkjet fabric sheets as a way to add photos and other personal touches to your quilt.
Finally, learn how to finish off the quilt design with sashing strips and other accent blocks.
NOTE: You’ll receive this Class video instruction in two forms: As on-demand streaming video (in your NQC Account); and as a physical DVD, mailed to you.
Beyond the Tee, Innovative T-Shirt Quilt Book ($25 Value)
Expand your idea of what a T-shirt quilt can be with this 80 page book! Create nine delightful and innovative projects from T-shirts, clothing solids, small scraps, prints with motifs, a child’s outgrown onesies, or a retiree’s ties-anything goes! Learn how to cut into clothing and maximize your fabric, even altering a design to fit your special tees. Solve common challenges like motifs separated by zippers and logos that are too big or too small. With a few T-shirt quilt basics under your belt-choosing a stabilizer, adding borders, and finding a consistent theme-you’ll soon become an expert at preserving the past.
The T-Shirt Quilt Book ($25 Value)
Turn treasured tees into something brand new-a T-shirt quilt! Capture the memories of a special time, starting with a quick pillow project or a baby quilt made from onesies, and work your way up to bed quilts in multiple sizes. Learn the secrets to choosing shirts, centering and cutting out around a logo, working with shirts that are too small, and interfacing knit fabrics with finesse. You’ll practice your skills with 8 projects ranging from simple squares to pieced stars and triangles, plus easy machine-appliquéd motifs. With beginner-friendly designs and truly unique layouts to entice experienced quilters, this essential guide to T-shirt quilts covers all the bases.
Stabili-TEE Fusible Interfacing Tool ($20 Value)
Easy as 1-2-3-cut, press & trim!
Add just the right amount of stabilization to your next T-shirt quilt! This lightweight, 100% polyester fusible interfacing is made specifically for stretchy, non-woven T-shirt material, but it works great on woven fabrics such as cotton, too. The pack comes with complete and easy-to-understand instructions so even beginners can have the confidence that their projects will come out looking great. Turn your T-shirts into memory quilts, scarves, pillow covers, or totes, or branch out and use the non-woven, single-sided interfacing for other craft and sewing projects, including garments and hats.
- Q: How do I know what the Class covers? A: Every Class has a free Preview video you can watch, to give you a flavor of the Instructor and the skills or project that will be covered. In addition, the Overview tab includes a thorough written description of the Class. And finally, each Class Session has a brief written summary of the content in that Session, including the length of each Session video. You will get a good feel for the Class content by reviewing these resources.
- Q: Do I have to be a Member of National Quilters Circle to purchase a Class? A: No you don’t. While Premium Members will receive regular offers for special deals on NQC content, Classes are not reserved exclusively for Members. If you buy a Class as a non-member, we’re sure you’d also enjoy having access to our full library of great quilting videos and articles as a Member, so give it a try.
- Q: How do I purchase a Class? A: First you should decide that the Class is what you want. Review the Class Preview video and the various written descriptions of the Class and each Session before you purchase, so you have a good understanding of the Class content. When you’re ready to purchase and gain access to the Class, simply click the “Add to Cart” button, and proceed through the Checkout process.
- Q: How do I access/view my Class? A: Once you’ve paid, you can access/view your Class by going to the MY ACCOUNT section of National Quilters Circle. The MY ACCOUNT link is in the upper right-hand area of the website. Within your MY ACCOUNT, a section labeled “My Classes” will appear, including a link to watch the video of your Class. You’ll also receive an email confirmation after your purchase, which will include a link to view your Class. You can access your Class as many times as you wish, and you’ll never lose access to your Account information. Just be sure to “Log In” for access to MY ACCOUNT.
- Q: Do I have to take the Class right away? A: No. Any Class you buy will be accessible to you always. You can view your Class whenever you want, and you can view individual Sessions in whatever order you like.
- Q: Is there a limit on the times I can view my Class? A: No. Your access never expires. You can view any Class you purchase as many times as you want, whenever you want.
- Q: Can I view a Class on my tablet device or mobile phone? A: No problem. Most newer-model smartphones or other mobile/tablet devices with an internet connection are able to play the Class videos. Simply Log In on National Quilters Circle, and you can view any Class you’ve bought through the MY ACCOUNT section. Or, you can click on the “View Class” link within the email confirmation you’ll receive upon your purchase.
- Q: How do I get access to the Bonus Materials for the Class? A: Until you purchase a Class, the Bonus material (any extra videos, download materials, etc.) will not be accessible. Once you purchase a Class, and go to view your Class, each individual Bonus element is accessible by simply clicking on each item. You’ll find the Bonus Materials directly below your main Class viewer frame. You can access the bonus materials as many times as you like and/or save them to your device.
- Q: Can I print out Class details? A: For any Bonus Material that is a PDF Download, yes you can. Just click on the icon/button for the Bonus element you want, and print with your local printer.
- Q: What are PDF downloads? A: These are simply documents, plans, or written materials that are formatted in a way to print out and retain for reference. By simply clicking on the icon/link for any PDF Download that is included with a Class, you can print that document on your own printer or simply view the contents on your computer/mobile device.
- Q: Are there any system requirements to view the Class video content? A: Your Class video content is best when viewed on a computer manufactured in the past couple of years with a good broadband Internet connection (not dialup). We also highly recommend using the latest version of Firefox, Safari, or Chrome as your Internet Browser, though recent versions of Internet Explorer will work as well. The recommended screen resolution is 1024 x 768 or larger.
- Q: Why do you need my email? A: We need it to acknowledge your purchase of a Class, and send you a confirmation of your transaction. Also, in order to maintain your permanent access to the Class videos, you’ll need to Login to www.nationalquilterscircle.com. We guarantee that we will not share your email with any third parties. You may receive email updates from NQC from time to time, with details of new Classes and updates. You can easily unsubscribe when you receive any email.
- Q: Can I get a refund if I don’t like the Class? A: Because you’ll have full access to all the materials and content that is presented in the Class immediately, we can’t offer a refund after purchase. Please review the Class Preview video and the various written descriptions of the Class and each Session before you purchase, so you have a good understanding of the Class content.
- Q: How do I contact National Quilters Circle? A: If your question is about the Class content, please use the Class Discussion benefit to ask your question online – and you'll receive feedback from the Class Instructor. Even your fellow Class participants may jump in to offer tips and advice from their experience. If you have other questions or need help, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us toll-free, at 1-855-253-0822. Service Representatives will be available Monday-Friday, from 8:00AM to 4:30 PM Central time, excluding normal holidays.
Bonus Materials Included
Class Resource PDF ?
Class Resource PDF ?
Meet Your Expert Video ?