What Type of Batting for Place Mats?

Ask an Expert Banner NQC

I’m making place mats, what type of batting do I need?

Submitted via email

NQC Answer

If you want your place mats to be heat resistant- you can use heat resistant batting. Otherwise, you can use thin cotton, polyester, or a cotton/poly blend.

If you need some more information about making your own place mats, our sister site National Sewing Circle, has a few helpful videos: Serge Along Placemats and Sewing Placemats Personalized with Photos

Hope this helps,

Interested in learning more? Check out this free video Different Types of Quilt Batting

All About Quilt Battings
Piecing Together Quilt Batting
Clever Uses for Quilt Batting Scraps
How to Choose the Right Quilt Batting

Do you have a quilting question you’d like answered by an expert? Email your question to editor@nationalquilterscircle.com or reach out to us on Facebook.

Please note: questions may be edited for clarity and relevance.

The Ultimate Sewing Machine Guide
  • (will not be published)

8 Responses to “What Type of Batting for Place Mats?”

  1. Lori Smanski

    Thank you for sharing the different types of batting and the information of each one

  2. Bobbie

    I personally feel cotton should be used, no polyester. That way, if anything hot gets set on it, there is no risk of damage. Many of us heat leftovers on a plate in micro, take to table and eat. Plate will be hot, maybe damage poly batting.

  3. Luanne Jessel

    what would be a quality batting for placemats that does not make fabric wrinkle

    • Customer Service

      Hello Luanne,

      Thank you for being here! By becoming a member, you will have access to our expert’s knowledge. With your membership you will also receive discounts on products and hundreds of hours of Premium content.

      If you are interested in becoming a member, please click on the offer below:


  4. Barb Beath

    hi I am looking for the pattern for the 12″ slip knot by Wendy Russel. Can anyone help

  5. Marilyn Culp

    Hi there. I want to make a covering for a small stool. I am new to sewing & need help to figure out how to cover it. The top is 12 “ in diameter & 24” high. I want to make Dresden plates to appliqué on it. Can someone help me figure out how big to make it please. Thank you. Marilyn