Quilt Block Challenge Fabric Requirements

nqc-challenge-hero

It’s time to gather your fabric and supplies – the first block assignment for the National Quilters Circle Quilt Block Challenge is coming out soon!

Below you’ll find some basic instructions and fabric requirements for the Snowy Day Quilt Sampler, which is the quilt we will be making for the Quilt Block Challenge. Designed by Andrea Smith of Happy Cloud Creations, this beautiful quilt is suitable for beginner to intermediate quilters, though a basic knowledge of sewing, piecing, and quilting is needed. The finished quilt size is 56.5 x 56.5 inches.

Andrea has chosen pretty pinks and blue hues for her design, but feel free to use whatever colors suit your fancy! This design would also make a great scrappy quilt for using up your fabric stash.

Fabric requirements:(refer to the photo below for color reference)

– Color A (navy): 2/3 yard
    – Color B (pink): 1 yard
    – Color C (teal): 2/3 yard
    – Color D (grey): 2 ½ yards (includes 1 yard of sashing)
    – Binding: ½ yard
    – Backing 3 ¾ yard
sdqs-quilt
Some notes on fabric choice:
    – The pattern assumes most width of fabrics are 42 inches. If you like to pre-wash your fabric, you will want to purchase ¼ yard more fabric to account for shrinkage.
    – This would make a great scrappy quilt! We recommend keeping Color D a contrasting color from Color A, B, and C to help the designs stand out.

If you haven’t signed up for the Quilt Block Challenge, there’s still time! You can sign up here to make sure you get the block assignments delivered to you inbox each week. And make sure to visit Andrea on Facebook, Instagram, and Etsy to see more of her beautiful work!

nqc-photo-challenge-in-content-banner-ad-big

384 Responses to “Quilt Block Challenge Fabric Requirements”

Hi, Sheila. The finished size is a 56 1/2″ square throw quilt size.

1. Ruth A. Sunday

I’m going scrappy. Think I will pull a common color print for background out of my stash, but otherwise I just need more color variety to keep me happy. The sample is pretty, but I like the challenge of digging through my scrap bin.

2. Linda Neagle

You mention that this would make a good stashy quilt. Do you think it would work to make every block with different colored fabrics for A, B & C ?

Hi, Linda. You absolutely can! That is the great thing about scrap or stashy quilts. What I would recommend doing is laying out the colors for each block as you go and making sure you like the looks of it before you stitch anything together.

Hi, Kay. Yes, you may still participate! If you have any further questions, please contact us at 1-855-706-3538 for further assistance.

3. Kathy Wells

Hi ya, I am excited to do this quilt block challenge. I am glad it is weekly. I was in one that was monthly, and kind of lost interest. One month was to long of a wait for me, and I would get busy making something else and forget about the challenge.

Hi, Lori. The pieces are larger than that, so a jelly roll would not work.

Hi, Susan. No, everyone square does not have to be the same color–you can change up the colors each week. The sizes of squares needed will be given in each weeks pattern.

Hi, Jennifer. You can use the batting of your choice and you will need enough batting to cover a 56 1/2″ finished quilt size.

4. Liz

Question?….if I were to use my stash……how many fat quarters would I need to cover colors A, B, and C?

Hi, Liz. Since a fat quarter is a quarter yard of fabric, if the fabric color requirements say you need a yard, you would need 4 fat quarters.

5. Primrose

This is a question really – interested to know if precuts can be used, and which/what size.

Due to the sizes that the pieces need to be cut, precut fabrics will not be the exact size you need and you will end up needing to do some cutting anyway.

6. Anita

I like the scrappy palette idea. Although it may be snowy in a lot of places in February, here in sunny Florida flowers are in bloom! My floral collection should do nicely for this project!

7. Anna Edwards

This is my first challenge and its been 40 years since my last quilt. Think good thoughts for me!

8. becky Cameron

Just did first mystery quilt large going to love this bom(my first ) I like the open areas not sure what colors yet that’s the fun part thanks for letting me join in

Hi, Susan. You should have already received the first week’s block pattern, and each new block pattern will be sent out in the newsletter every Thursday.

9. Judy

Doing the quilt challenge. Have bought my fabric but wanted to know if there were any other tools that would be needed besides thread and sewing machine?

Hi, Judy. Those are the basic tools, however having a rotary cutter, ruler and cutting mat are also helpful.

10. Cathy Robinson

So? Can only do this challenge if I do these colors? Sorry, or not! I don”t mind doing the patterns, but do want to do my own colors!!

11. Annette

I really want to be a part of this quilt block challenge, but I’ve received no information on it and no news letter. I would be interested in knowing if I will receive notifications and directions for the blocks. Any information would be appreciated.

Hi, Annette. Please contact us at 1-855-706-3538; our Customer Service Team would be happy to assist you.

12. Michele

Hopefully, this will work. I signed up yesterday and still haven’t received any kind of email from you.

Hi, Michele. Please contact us at 1-855-706-3538; our Customer Service Team would be happy to assist you.

13. Carol Ann Keck

I signed up for this, but did not get the information on this page in an e-mail. Will I still get the block instructions and I just have to be patient. Or did my “sign-up” end up in never-never land? Do I need to re-register?

Hi, Carol. Please contact us at 1-855-706-3538; our Customer Service Team would be happy to assist you!

14. MARY Redeker

Next challenge please make post fabric requirements with the picture of the quilt. For two weeks I didn’t know where to find this information. I got lucky and found the answer in a comment.

15. Carol Sloan

I haven’t received a newsletter yet. I fell across this post on facebook. Otherwise I wouldn’t have fabric measurements to start my challenge. Help! Where are the instructions found!

16. Pat Leech

Will my directions to this quilt come to me by email? I just want to make sure I will get them. Thank you!

Hi, Pat. The first assignment is going out on February 23rd (for both challenges) via the newsletter. You will just need to make sure you are registered for the challenge, and you will receive the newsletter with the assignment. The subsequent assignments will go out every Thursday after that for the duration of the challenge, again via the newsletters.

Hi, Pat. Yes, instructions will be sent out in each week’s newsletter as well as posted on the Facebook group page.

17. Terri Haun

Looking forward to this challenge. I’ve never done a quilt challenge before. Hope i can keep up!

18. Brenda Clark

Lots of beautiful fabric. Kind of new at quilting. I’ve made one quilt but love to create!!!

19. Regina Chandler

Have only done Quilt in a Day quilts. Looking forward to branching out. Fingers are crossed.

20. Pat Walling

Love the colors Andrea has chosen. None of those in my sewing room at this time. Will have to find something though.
    Love the overall quilt as well. I am so looking forward to trying this. Thanks

Hi, Laura. The first assignment is going out on February 23rd (for both challenges) via the newsletter. You will just need to make sure that you are registered for the challenge, and you will receive the newsletter with the assignment. The subsequent assignments will go out every Thursday after that for the duration of the challenge, again via the newsletters.

Hi, Linda. The first assignment is going out on February 23rd (for both challenges) via the newsletter. You will just need to make sure that you are registered for the challenge and you will receive the newsletter with the assignment. The subsequent assignments will go out every Thursday after that for the duration of the challenge, again via the newsletters.

21. Cecelia

I am going with a solid navy, swirled hot pink, swirled aqua, and an off white stemy back ground.

Hi, Betty. This is up to you. You can absolutely do that, and I think it is a wonderful idea!

22. Janice Magee

What tools will I need? I’ve done baby quilts with cross stitched squares in the “shooting from the hip” style. I would like to learn to quilt properly with the correct tools.

Hi, Janice. This block challenge is made up of fairly simple blocks, so you will not need too many tools. I recommend a rotary cutting system for cutting your fabric, so a cutting mat, a rotary cutter and a ruler. Other than that you will need pins, an iron and pressing mat and a pair of snips for cutting threads. This should be all you need to get going on creating your blocks!

23. Stephanie Proctor

Thank you, first time challenge, and new to quilting. Can’t wait. Benton, Maine

24. Alice Gatto

Thanks so much for the challenge. I need to use the fabrics that I already have so I will be one of the scrappy ones. I am hoping to find that I have 2 1/2 yards of one of the colors of one of the colors for contrast as you suggested. I can’t wait to start tomorrow.
    Alice G.

25. Barbi Strong

I just joined nstional quilters circle and I am so excited to see all that I learn from all of you.

26. Patti

Excited and nervous at the same time. I’m very new to quilting but this looks fun and a great learning experience.

27. Marian Weber

Never really quilted before but I want to give it a try. You think these will be too hard for a beginner?

28. mary barnett

o my, i have to pick out fabric, love fabric shopping
    i am a little behind just joined today.

29. Pauline

Did I see a coloring page to try out different color combinations? Maybe I was just wishing…..
    Thanks.

30. Cathy

I am using a charm pack from my stash for color B…the charm pack is only 5 “…the pattern calls for 5.25″…if I reduce all measurements of all colors .25” will it work out ok??

31. karen

Still haven’t received my first block. Can see everyones blocks on facebook but haven’t received the block requirements or pattern.

32. Donna

I am currently out of the country, so of course I had to buy fabric for the challenge here in Curaçao.

33. Sandra

I registered but have not received the email with the pattern, I got it off the facebook page, Will I get the email for the second block?

34. Jewel

I just joined and was wondering how I can get Block 1?
    Thank you it looks like fun!!!
    Jewel

35. Mignonne Mary Cummings

Are the squares used all the same size…if so it would be easy to prep the fabric?

36. Marva Connelly

What happened to the directions for block 2? I received block 1 and now I just received block 3

37. Chrys

I am loving this challenge so much that I am actually making 2 quilts at the same time. One is contemporary color palette of orange, navy, medium blues and gray while the other is more colonial with burgundy, medium pine green, medium dusty blue and a lighter pine green. I’m 1 week behind, but catching up. Both are coming out beautifully and will be gifts.

38. Pamela

Sorry, we had a death in the family and I have not been able to get the instructions past #2. Please help. Pam

Hi,

I do not currently have photos of the quilt done in a scrappy style, however if you have access to and can I would recommend joining the quilt block challenge facebook group page as many people are posting photos of their blocks done in various different ways.

39. Barb K.

I am not receiving my assignments for the Snowy Days challenge sampler! Please help.Thanks!

40. Lisa mccool

I get the blocks picture but can’t find the size of block cuts? How do I get the specific directions?

Hi Diane,

You should not miss any but if so which ones do you need? I would be happy to provide you the links.

Happy Quilting!
      Kate

NQC Video Membership

Hi Vicky,

I would be happy to get you the links for whichever blocks you are missing. Please just let me know which ones you need!

Happy Quilting!
      Kate

NQC Video Membership

Hi Linda,
      I have emailed you the links!
      Happy Quilting,
      Kate
      NQC Video Membership

41. Claudia Males

I missed Block 9 as I was out of state on vacation. How can I get it? Also, can I get the finishing and assembly information? Thank you.

Hello Laurie,

We are excited that you are interested in the block challenge! All the blocks are located on our Facebook Page NQC Quilt Black Challenge. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks
      Becky NQC Video Membership

42. Suzanne Malone

My emailed link to the finishing instructions says the page expired. Can you re-send it?

Hello Suzanne,

All of the directions for the challenge are located on our Facebook Page, NQC Quilt Block Challenge.

Thanks
      Becky NQC Video Memberhsip

43. Leann

I downloaded most of the blocks for this quilt last winter. Alas due to illness and family issues I am just now beginning. Are there only nine different blocks??

44. Connie

I need sewing directions for the first square. Found a picture on face book but need more. This is my first one and am wondering why we can’t just go to this page and get everything we require? It would save a lot of wasted time looking for it. Have seen a lot of beautiful work on my search just getting anxious to start.

45. Cathy Kingcade

While checking out the discussion thread i wondered is the yardage given for the whole quilt?

46. Lois Arwood

I am unsucessfully trying to sign up for the quilt challenge. I think I have signed up but the group name is not listed on my Facebookpage.

47. Julie Geis

I’m missing blocks 8,9 and finishing from this quilt. Is there any way to get the rest of the instructions? Not sure if I misplaced them or if I forgot to print them. Thank you…

Hello Bobbie,

The blocks are 16″ finished.

Thanks
      Becky NQC Video Membership

48. TracyAnn Schuur

This is my first quilt challenge and I just found it today! I have some catching up to do but I am so so excited!

49. Maryann Margolies

Sounds like fun and a challenge. A friend told me about this and she loves it.

50. Patricia Stiver

I usually make my blocks pretty plain but after seeing all the nice color combinations I have added some floral

51. Patricia Ward

I loved the last challenge and would love to participate in this one. Looking forward to it. Thanks.

52. Marva

I can’t find the requirements in your website trying to print it out.

53. Patricia Deniau

How do you get the fabric requirements? What is shown above is NOT for the Lexington Quilt shown as the one we are making. These fabric requirements are for the quilt shown above.

Hello Patricia,

This is the link to our last challenge fabric requirements. The Lexington Quilt fabric requirements will be sent out tomorrow in Block 1 of the challenge.

Enjoy!

54. Tina

I love theses blocks! So sad I missed the QAL. Is there any way to still get the block instructions now? Would love to try and make this!