Quilt Block Challenge – Basic Finishing Instructions

For layout of quilt shown

As per the fabric requirements, you will need 1 yard of fabric for the sashing strips and 1 3/8 yards of fabric for the border.

For the sashing strips:
– Cut 12-2 ½” by 16 ½” strips (unless your blocks finished at a different size, i.e. 16 ¼” or 16 ¾”, and then cut accordingly).
– Cut 4-2 ½” by 56 ½” strips (unless your blocks finished at a different size, and then measure your assembled rows and cut sashing strip lengths accordingly).

For the borders:
– Cut 2- 5” by 56 ½” strips (unless your blocks finished at a different size, and then measure your assembled rows and sashing strips and cut accordingly).
– Cut 2- 5” by 66” strips (unless your blocks finished at a different size, and then measure your assembled rows, sashing strips and borders and cut accordingly).

For the top row:
To align the sashing strips, begin by pinning at each end and in the middle to ensure the strip is properly aligned along the block edge.

– Stitch one sashing strip to both the left and right sides of the Sterope Star block.
– Next, stitch the Atlas Star block to the sashing strip attached to the right side of the Sterope Star block.
– Stitch a sashing strip to the right side of the Atlas Star block.
– Stitch the Maia Star block to the sashing strip attached to the right side of the Atlas Star block.
– Stitch a sashing strip to the right side of the Maia Star block.

For the middle row:

– Stitch one sashing strip to both the left and right sides of the Celaeno Star block.
– Next, stitch the Merope Star block to the sashing strip attached to the right side of the Celaeno Star block.
– Stitch a sashing strip to the right side of the Merope Star block.
– Stitch the Alicyone Star block to the sashing strip attached to the right side of the Merope Star block.
– Stitch a sashing strip to the right side of the Alicyone Star block.

For the bottom row:

– Stitch one sashing strip to both the left and right sides of the Taygeta Star block.
– Next, stitch the Electra Star block to the sashing strip attached to the right side of the Taygeta Star block.
– Stitch a sashing strip to the right side of the Electra Star block.
– Stitch the Pleione Star block to the sashing strip attached to the right side of the Electra Star block.
– Stitch a sashing strip to the right side of the Pleione Star block.

Final Assembly
To align the sashing strips and borders, begin by pinning at each end and in the middle to ensure the strip is properly aligned along the block edge.

– Stitch one of the sashing strips to the top and bottom of the assembled top row.
– Stitch one middle row to the bottom of the sashing strip attached to the top row.
– Stitch one sashing strip to the bottom of the assembled middle row.
– Stitch one bottom row to the bottom of the sashing strip attached to the middle row.
– Stitch one sashing strip to the bottom of the assembled bottom row.
– Stitch one border strip to the left and right of the assembled quilt block rows and sashing strips.
– Stitch one border strip to the top and bottom of the assembled quilt block rows, sashing strips and side borders.

31 Responses to “Quilt Block Challenge – Basic Finishing Instructions”
  1. Kay Collins

I never received the last block in this quilt block challenge. I would love to have it so I can finish my quilt.

2. Luanne Ellingsen

Thank you so much for the great challenge! I learned a lot, had lots of fun, and enjoyed being inspired by so many beautiful projects! I would love to do this again!

3. Alice Gatto

Dear Gina,
    Thanks for all the beautiful blocks. I am way behind but I’m looking forward to doing each one. I’m saving the finishing directions for now. I can’t wait to complete my work on this project.

Hello Ruth,

I do apologize, however, We do not have the finishing directions in PDF.

Thanks,

4. Peggy King

Hi i really want to make the monochromatic version of this quilt also but noticed that block 1,2, and 8 dont have the instructions for that do you have them and if so can you send them to me please I would really appreciate it. I have really enjoyed the block challenges and look forward to another one soon.

5. Pat

Thank you so much. Would you also send me the correction for the blocks. I understand they received them through Facebook and I am not on it. Thank you so much

Hello Dawn,

The blocks are 16 inches.

Thanks

6. June

Thank you everyone who had anything to do with the production of this, my first, quilt challenge. It certainly lived up to its name — a challenge, and I learned a lot of new things. One of the most valuable to me was accuracy, take your time to straighten that fabric, get it right, yes, accurate to the 1/8th of an inch, and the blocks come out much better, that is if you read the instructions correctly. Notice, I didn’t say perfect, because perfection requires a lot of practice.
    I certainly enjoyed the experience and am pleased with my results. I can see where I need to improve, but that’s life.
    For another time I would like to see alternative assembly of a quilt — sashing, corner blocks, borders, etc.
    Also quilting suggestions, suggestions, etc.
    Thanks again for the Challenge. I will keep looking for another one.

7. Sue

Why can you not post the video on YouTube or on your website? I absolutely refuse to allow Facebook to control my life in any way shape or form again. I felt this challenge misrepresented its dependence upon Facebook and wonder what the National quilt circle really is or if it is merely a front and not an entity. Disappointing on the level of support for non Facebook users. Pretty pattern for experienced quilters. Misrepresented as suitable for beginners unless you are ok with a questionable outcome.

Hello Sue,

We appreciate your feedback and it has been forwarded to the proper department. Your comments are important to us and help with the development of new programs and offers. We will continue to listen and work hard for your complete satisfaction.

All of the blocks from the challenge are posted on our website as well as on Facebook. Is there a certain post that you are looking for?

Thanks,

8. Irene

I enjoyed the quilt block challenge very much and would love to see some more. I am not a professional quilter, and I can see where beginners would have a problem with these blocks. The directions were not very clear as to how pieces were to be cut on some blocks. I have made many quilts now but I had trouble with a couple of these blocks. I have not put it together yet as have been busy with other things but will post a picture when I complete it!

9. Gretchen Serafini

Hi, had fun doing the blocks but was doing the last block and only had the first 2 pages of the sterope star and noticed I am also missing block # 7. I have been receiving medical treatments and would have noticed sooner. How do I get the rest of instructions for block # 9 and of # 7? Thanks!

10. Norma

Thank you Gina for the quilt challenge. I don’t have all my blocks finished but still working on them. I enjoyed working on this very much. I never would tackle a pattern before with half square triangles and flying geese but now I would not hesitate. Thanks for the experience.

11. Joanne

I thought I had downloaded the last two quilt blocks but I can’t find them in my downloads can someone send me both 8 and 9 so I can finish my quilt I couldn’t sew for a while due to my accident. Thank you

12. Sharyn Bovee

Thank you Gina and your team. This has been a challenge and I have enjoyed it to the very last stitch on the blocks. Now I will attempt to finish it with the sashing border. I would like to make it a little longer for a twin bed. Do you have any suggestions? Again thank everyone one of you. This is my first quilt.

13. Crystal Nichols

I am sorry to say I am still collecting the blocks. How do I get the Star in a Star Block please.

14. Jane Dawson

Thanks for the great and challenging pattern. So many points! And I appreciate your showing the quilting patterns, great ideas for finishing with FMQ!

15. Jodi Rethmeier

This is an amazing resource. Thank you for all you are doing to organize it, and to all of you who are posting pictures. I’m very excited and grateful. Thank you!

16. Judi

where can i find all the instructions for this quilt…. I am presently doing the MBC , but would LOVE to do this one also.