10 Amazing Places to Donate Your Quilts

When it comes to quilting, many people don’t realize we aren’t always quilting for ourselves. A lot of time, effort, and love are put into quilts, and it’s incredibly satisfying to give one as a gift. It’s like you’re sharing a piece of yourself! Though it’s easy to opt for gifting quilts to family members, many of us like to donate quilts to charities and give something back to the community. But how do you know where to donate quilts? There are a variety of options, and it can take a little research. Luckily, we’ve compiled a list of 10 amazing places for you to donate your quilts! Whether you’d like to donate to veterans, children or hospitals, we’ve got a few options for you to choose from.

Donate Quilts to Veterans

Quilts of Valor

Quilts of Valor is dedicated to creating and distributing quality quilts to veterans. Catherine Roberts, founder of Quilts of Valor, began the organization after her son was deployed in Iraq. She had one basic principle: quilts = healing. Quilts of Valor has specific requirements for their donations, as they pride themselves on quality and durability. Find their quilting requirements here, and learn more about the organization here.

Quilts of Honor

Gail Belmont, creator of Quilts of Honor, is a Vietnam era veteran who has been playing Taps at military funerals since 1969. To ensure that no warrior would be forgotten she began Quilts of Honor. Additionally, Quilts of Honor was asked to by the Navy Seals to make a “Presidential Quilt” in 2007 for President Bush. It was installed in the “9/11 Memorial Display Case” that Fall. Quilts of Honor has chapters nationwide, and like Quilts of Valor, has special requirements for their quilts. Find their quilting requirements here, and learn more about the organization here.

Quilting In Honor (Island Batik)

Quilted in Honor is a fundraiser led by Island Batik, and is part of Operation Homefront. Quilted in Honor has 24 locations nationwide where you can donate quilts to veterans and families. They also run quilting challenges where the entry fee proceeds are donated to Operation Homefront, and you are able to donate your finished quilt when the challenge completes. Quilted in Honor also has a shop of specialty fabrics and thread that when purchased, provides more donations to Operation Homefront. Learn more about Quilted in Honor here.

Donate Quilts to Children

Project Linus

Project Linus (yes, it is in fact named for the popular Peanuts character) aims to provide love and security for seriously ill, or children in need. Many children find comfort in a ‘blankie’, and Project Linus delivers them to hospitals, shelters, social service agencies, or anywhere else love is needed. You can find Project Linus chapters in all 50 states and find the location nearest you on their FAQ page. Learn more about donating quilts here, and learn more about the organization here.

Quilts for Kids

Quilts for Kids was founded by Linda Arye, a quilter who saw the waste of discontinued fabric samples being sent to landfills. She decided to start a charity to save that perfectly good fabric from the garbage, and create it into something beautiful. Quilts for Kids has saved millions of pounds of fabric and donates roughly 30,000 quilts yearly. You can request a pre-made quilting kit from them, and only need to pay for the shipping ($6.00)! Learn more about the organization here or request a kit here.

Wrap Them in Love

Wrap Them in Love distributes donated quilts to children around the world. In 1980, founder Ellen Sime, adopted two children from Korea. While waiting for her adopted children, Ellen thought “Was someone holding her when she cried? Was he fed and taken care of properly? Did someone hug him?” So she began Wrap Them in Love, to send love and hugs around the world for children who need them. Learn more about the organization here.

Quilts Beyond Borders

Quilts Beyond Borders provides quilts to orphans around the world. Originally, Quilts Beyond Borders focused on Ethiopia, but has now expanded to spreading love and hope to 25 other countries. Currently, Quilts Beyond Borders is focusing on Syrian refugees, and children living in the Navajo Nation. Learn more about their quilting criteria here and more about the organization here.

Other Places to Donate Quilts

Victoria’s Quilts

Created in memoriam of Victoria Morrison, Victoria’s Quilts aims to provide comfort to cancer patients. Deborah Rogers (Victoria’s sister-in-law) remembered how cold Victoria was during her chemotherapy treatments. She hopes these quilts will help cancer patients be able to feel a little more comfortable. Victoria Morrison was an avid quilter herself, and helped Deborah start her quilting journey. She honors her memory by helping others with the love and warmth of quilts. Learn more about the organization here.

Hopes and Dreams Quilt Challenge for ALS

Hopes and Dreams is not an open quilt donation organization, but they host quilting challenges for ALS patients and donate to ALS research. Participants vote on the best quilts of each challenge, and winners are eligible for some great prizes! If you are interested in participating in an ALS quilt challenge, you can learn more here.

The Giving Quilt, Inc.

The Giving Quilt is an organization that distributes to all kinds of non-profit agencies. This ranges from children’s hospitals, neonatal units, military organizations, and many more. You can donate a quilt at any time, or take part in their sponsored sew days and biennial quilt show. Learn more about the organization here.

In addition to the organizations provided, you can always research where to donate quilts locally. Depending on your area, you may be able to donate quilts to senior centers, homeless shelters, churches, animal shelters, and hospitals! So get quilting and start spreading the love.

Have something to add? Leave a comment or email editor@nationalquilterscircle.com.

45 Responses to “10 Amazing Places to Donate Your Quilts”
  1. Carol Paterson

I have numerous large tubs of fabric strips ranging from 1″ through to 3″ all sorted ready to be made into scrappy quilts.
    I have donated hundreds of quilts for orphaned children in Uganda, Africa. Sadly the organisation here in Western Australia chose to advertise my quilts for $50.00 each to raise funds for buildings required for these orphaned children rather than give each child a warm quilt of their own. Something about our fabric not being allowed to enter Africa.(??).
    I now donate gorgeous little quilts to NICU at our local hospital for premature babies for new mums to take home with their baby as a keepsake.
    I am thinking of the homeless people now, who congregate in small groups in my area.
    I want to give one to each person personally without creating angst among each other.

• Linda

I have a non profit and I’m always looking for quilts to be donated. I have an orphanage in Africa and have never heard about the fabric not being allowed?? I also work with kids here in the states should anyone be interested in helping.

• linda Simpson

I ewouxl

I would like more info in where you are Donating quilts. I know S Africa can get quite cold. Are you giving through an agency, missionary organization or what. I agree with the reply below. Sometimes it is just more feasible y
        Yet

I am interested in the quilt thing! Need to know sizes & particulars & where they are going. Is it through a missionary organization or what?

• Sukochi Lee

Is the whole point of donation to help in the best way possible ? If money is needed and that is provided by the donated quilts, then what the problem?. I was in a group that made 55 quilts for people who lost their homes in a tornado. As the town is in our state we delivered them ourselves. Many of those who lost everything said thanks but we don’t need quilts. We need buulding materials, people who can help build, food, water, etc. Do you people really think a quilt HELPS in our situation? I won’t donate quilts for these types of tragedy again. It a sweet thought to send quilts to kids now n foreign countries but so many of those countries are extremely hot and quilts are the last thing thing needed

• Angela Mason

Sukochi Lee, so sorry to read your responds, maybe, they were wrong turning away quilts, but I have given many quilts to many groups, I have witnessed the giving my quilts to veterans, people fighting cancer, I give to project Linus, every quilt that is given and a person receiving it was always happy to receive it. I think someone didn’t know what they were doing and turned your quilt away. we as a guild also give to women’s shelters, police receive quilts to give to kids in need as they come across them. I will continue to make quilts and give, them to groups that want them. I even gave my Doctor for his birthday the gift of giving, I gave him a quilt and told him he will know when he comes across the right person in need. I got a blessing, the doctor gets one as well as the person receiving the quilt will get the blessing as well!!!!!

• Tina

I work with our church to provide quilts for Lutheran World Relief. While you are correct that many places are hot, a quilt can be used as a room devider to provide privacy, a soft spot to lay instread of a dirt floor, a bit of shade and many other comforts beyond warmth.

• Patricia

Hello Carol, I am wondering about the NICU quilts you make, the size and if there is a special technique you use? I crochet preemie hats, (yet to be donated) maybe a quilt to go with them would be an added bonus. I too have a lot of small stash / scraps around. What can you tell me? I am in NYS USA, I would donate local at this time.

• Samantha Locke

Lutheran World Relief sends quilts all over the world. They request no “national themed” fabric and size 60” x 80”.

2. Linda

Love it. Do it by hand , always have. The combination of color & design. A piece of me goes into each quilt. Love to share.

• Connie

I too hand quilt but learned after retirement so only 7 years new. I love hand quilting. I am finding donation places want machine quilted quilts. Sad. Good luck in your quilting….I am ready for another project

3. Trudy R

Veterans in hospice care at any VS Hospital can always use quilts for those vets. They may have a qualifying size (probably twin) and/or color requests (red/white/blue). At my VS Hospital, they are used to cover the vet as they make their final trip out of the hospital, an the quilt then becomes the property of the vet’s family. The contact person at my VS Hospital works in the Volunteer Services office. (I am a veteran, so I go to this hospital fairly frequently.)

4. Kathy

When my son was 3 he was diagnosis with cancer. We went to St Judes. He received a quilt and we took it with us every time he was having treatments. It gave him a lot of comfort. He is 23 now and still has his quilt. I have helped make quilts for the Honor Flight veterans and cancer patients.

5. Ronda Taraboletti

Consider donating to A21 shelters which provide homes for victims rescued from trafficking

6. Sue

When Quilts of Valor first started, I sent many beautiful quilts. Then they started to get very fussy about each quilt, then wanted fancy labels, then presentation bags. Took all way too much money now for me. I still have some undonated ones left but they will not get them. Think I may just bring them to my local VA hospital.

7. Connie

Our church has been asked to provide lap quilts to chemo patients. What size would you recommend for a lap quilt?

Hello Connie,

Lap quilts are generally around 36″ x 48″.

• Anna brown

Yess chemo blankets help alot .I use to make skull caps,biker caps,due rags to donate every time I went for my chemo… I always went hour early so I could watch people look threw my skull caps.. ( my happy place)…

8. Carolyn morrow

Hi donate quilts to a group called Aussie Heros .It is an Australian group who send quilts and laundry bags to Aussie deployed service men and women.There is also a group in Penrith who give quilts to those escaping domestic violence .I have also made memory quilts for Parents who have lost babies at a local hospital.

9. Carolyn morrow

Hi l donate quilts to a group called Aussie Heros .It is an Australian group who send quilts and laundry bags to Aussie deployed service men and women.There is also a group in Penrith who give quilts to those escaping domestic violence .I have also made memory quilts for Parents who have lost babies at a local hospital.

10. JoAnn Sanderson

I belonged to two groups in Florida that donated small lap quilts to the local VA Hospital (as well as wheel chair bags that were needed by the patients). We also donated quilts to the local Shriner’s Hospital for Children. A local Community Center gave us panels that were done by the teens in a program that we made into quilts to give to the local Sheriff’s Department to have whenever they had to remove a small child from their home (because of parental neglect or in the event the parents were arrested. This gave the children some comfort to have something of their own.

11. Sheila Baker

We make comfort quilts in our area for foster children entering the system, Alzheimer patients entering a nursing home, homeless shelters, addiction rehab, domestic abuse shelters for the children that come along, hospitals,. and anyone who may need a little more comfort. They are not fancy, just a front and fleece on the back and them we tie them or stitch in the ditch. You will be surprise of the need in your own backyard.

12. Kate

Foster children everywhere feel.wrapped in love with quilts. Group homes or agencies love having quilts dor.kids

13. Karen Brown

I would like to get in touch with ladies in my area who quilt and donate quilts. Like to hear from someone who would put me in touch. Thank you

14. regena cooper

your local cancer centers, hispital birthing centers, American legion, veterans hospitals, and homeless shelters,all gladly except quilts any and all skill levels.
    a gift from the heart is a true gift indeed.

15. Zakiyah Pierce

Cozy Quilts for Scholars is also a 501(c)3. We make quilts for under-served dorm bound High School graduates. They are recommended through the crisis counselor on their campus.

Please, we would love to have more donations to fit a twin-xl dorm bed, 70×100.

Please, we can be contacted at our website:
    http://Cozy QuiltsforScholars.com. Our address is on the website as well.

If you have questions, please contact us via the website. Thank you all for your consideration.

16. Annita Murfin

Locally check with Child Protective services, homeless shelters, and care facilities.

17. Katrina

I love making quilts. If anyone has cotton scraps let me know. Anything donated to me will be donated back to an organization or group in need.

18. della allen

All these places are great to donate to. One place that hasn’t been mentioned and would be perfect for small quilts is: pet shelters. They often need kennel quilts for the animals especially during a natural disaster. They need comfort too!

19. Robin Prechter

I was viewing your website showing several older veterans in blue jackets seated in a row. I am almost certain the gentleman seated in the second seat on the right is my father, Robert von Allmen. He was a Korean war veteran in the Navy. He passed away four years ago at the age of 83. Would it be possible to find out where this picture was taken and when? He lived in Richmond Shores, Massachusetts and been an active member of the Honor Guard for several veterans groups. Thank you for any information you could give me. The family was so excited to see this picture but want to be sure it is him.

20. Kathy Bryant

Yesterday two quilting groups in our area donated 13 twin size quilts to our local Hospice Inpatient Care Center. This is an inpatient center for those who cannot remain at home due to increasing symptoms . If you have a Hospice in your area please contact them. I

21. Marilyn Gittinger

Would love to hear where others donate. I’m in a quilt ministry donating to 3 main organizations

22. kirstysquilts

I belong to the Rogue Valley Piecemakers quilt guild in Grants Pass OR. We give our quilts to the local cancer center, the WIC foundatin, the local head start progam, a battered women’s center, the veteran hospital. Then with my sister I donate quilts to the fire victims in Northern California. She and a group of her friends about 10 have donated well over 50 quilts. They live in the areas of the fires. They are given names of people in need and get working on quilts. There is always a need for a quilt hug.

• Jeannie Oubre

A quilting club I belonged to donated charity quilts to local fire stations to provide to children involved in traumatic car accidents. They comforted the children and gave a smile and distraction to an otherwise difficult situation. The fire chief could not thank us enough!

23. Karen

I have a lot of fabric and was wondering what or who I could donate it to? I love this and thank you so much I will get busy sewing but I would also be willing to donate fabric to a group or individual who makes and donates

Hello Karen,

Any one of these places would be a great option for donating fabric. You could also search for groups or guilds in your area that are making quilts and other items to donate to these places- as they would probably appreciate donations as well.

We’d love to have you be a part of our community. We are convinced you will enjoy the benefits of becoming a member and having access to the best instructional how to videos and professional tips. We would like to offer you a special promotion for your first year membership.

24. Kathy Murray

Care Net and other pregnancy centers often provide diapers, blankets, and such to families of infants. A beautiful baby quilt can comfort and encourage when faced with an unplanned pregnancy.