NQC LIVE! October 2016

In this month’s NQC LIVE, Heather discussed different batting, how to fix common stitch quality issues when you start quilting, and how changing both your needle type and size can help keep thread from breaking.

1200x300 PDF Download

24 Responses to “NQC LIVE! October 2016”
  1. Janie Williams

What is Heather’s opinion on the need to tear off the ends of fabric and repress the fold line to make sure the fabric fold is “on-grain”? Thank you.

2. Randa Eldred

Do you have any tips on handling the bulk of a quilt when machine quilting on you regular sewing machine?

3. Linda

My Husqvarna Viking 960Q has both spring action and floating free motion settings. Is one better than the other and why?

4. Gloria

Just wanted to say, I quilted in the ditch a king size quilt on my regular sewing. I rolled it and started in the middle. Just like you said.

5. JILL

Since I’ve moved farther north, (from oklahoma to colorado) family has asked if I can make the new batch of quilts warmer. Normally I use Warm and White/Natural batting. would you suggest 2 layers or that, or perhaps a bamboo/cotton blend ?

• JILL

with wool, or silk would they still be launderable in a normal machine? (I’m not a fan of polyester, for much of the same reasons you aren’t)

6. Loretta

could you please tell how i can get a dvd on the quilt as you god, i payed for it on here i can watch it on my computer, but i sure do need a dvd to share with our quilting class, if you could please help me, thanks so much Loretta

7. Loretta

I don’ t know what website i have it says NQC, please help me thanks so much Loretta

8. Laura Shriver

Hi Heather. Any suggestion as to how to measure fabric to accurately cut long borders? I never seem to be able to get it just right.

9. Becky

When bordering blocks do you add the sides first or do you add the top and bottom border first?

10. Gay McGee

what do you think of putting a product on the back of the rulers to help the hold still? If you like them, which product do you recommend?

11. Marion

I’m from Scotland and it is 1.30 am! I am new to quilting and have had trouble with sewing long seams when sewing strips together to make a large piece which I would then cut to make pieces. The piece starts to warp. I’ve bought a walking foot to try to rectify this. Should I be sewing from the same end each time or should I alternate ends to to try to sort this?