If you’re looking for a fast, fun way to make stunning quilts, then look no further than a Jelly Roll for perfectly coordinated, pre-cut fabric strips. In this segment, ZJ Humbach introduces you to this fun fabric option. Learn what Jelly Roll is, what advantages it offers, how to use it, and how you can make your own.
For the past decade, Jelly Rolls have taken the quilting world by storm. These rolls of pre-cut, coordinated fabric strips come in a variety of designs and colors and offer time-saving quilting possibilities limited only by your imagination. If you’ve ever stood in a quilt store and wondered what to do with a Jelly Roll, then this is the video for you. Your instructor, ZJ Humbach, introduces you to this fun fabric option, provides tips and tricks for success, and gets you started with proper techniques and simple blocks.
Take your time and master each session before moving onto the next or come back and review individual segments as needed. By the end of the class, you’ll be excited about working with Jelly Rolls and be eager to make the bonus project that’s included.
Intro: Working with Jelly Rolls gets you off on the right foot. You’ll learn what a Jelly Roll is, what advantages it offers, and how to use it. While you can buy Jelly Rolls from a variety of sources, ZJ will show you how to make your own using your own fabric choices—a great way to tame your stash.
Work Smarter, Not Harder gives you the inside scoop on the special considerations that Jelly Rolls present. ZJ makes sure you’ll avoid time-consuming and frustrating mistakes by giving you tips and tricks for working with these pre-cut strips. From tips for shopping right through to design guidance and on to preparation steps, you’ll feel confident working with a Jelly Roll.
Strip Piecing is a fast, efficient piecing method and is the perfect option for Jelly Rolls. In this segment, you’ll quickly see why this technique is a favorite quilting time saver and learn how to avoid common problems when joining multiple strips together. You’ll be amazed at the versatility of stripped segments and soon use them to create blocks, sashing, and borders.
Building Blocks shows you simple ways to build blocks that are fast, easy, and look fantastic. Jelly Rolls can be used to create all kinds of blocks, from simple to complex. This segment teaches you to make basic blocks that can be used alone or in combination to make stunning quilts in a jiffy.
Endless Design Options prepares you to showcase your Jelly Roll blocks in beautiful quilts. Even the most simple of blocks can take center stage in the right setting. ZJ discusses a variety of ways to make your quilts pop with different settings, sashing, and borders. You’ll also learn tops for how to make a quilt without having to match block seams—a real time saver!
The final segment is Bonus Project: Scrappy Quilt, and it puts everything you’ve learned in the video together. It’s time to grab a Jelly Roll and get quilting. You’ll have great fun working with the pre-cut strips and have confidence knowing that the fabrics coordinate perfectly. If you tend to be a bit rigid with fabric placement, ZJ will help you release your inner child and show you how much fun it is to play with your Jelly Roll to make a scrappy throw quilt.
Also included with this class are multiple bonus materials including directions to make your Sampler Quilt and tips for strip piecing and more.
NOTE: You’ll receive this Class video instruction in two forms: As on-demand streaming video (in your NQC Account); and as a physical DVD, mailed to you.
- Q: How do I know what the Class covers? A: Every Class has a free Preview video you can watch, to give you a flavor of the Instructor and the skills or project that will be covered. In addition, the Overview tab includes a thorough written description of the Class. And finally, each Class Session has a brief written summary of the content in that Session, including the length of each Session video. You will get a good feel for the Class content by reviewing these resources.
- Q: Do I have to be a Member of National Quilters Circle to purchase a Class? A: No you don’t. While Premium Members will receive regular offers for special deals on NQC content, Classes are not reserved exclusively for Members. If you buy a Class as a non-member, we’re sure you’d also enjoy having access to our full library of great quilting videos and articles as a Member, so give it a try.
- Q: How do I purchase a Class? A: First you should decide that the Class is what you want. Review the Class Preview video and the various written descriptions of the Class and each Session before you purchase, so you have a good understanding of the Class content. When you’re ready to purchase and gain access to the Class, simply click the “Add to Cart” button, and proceed through the Checkout process.
- Q: How do I access/view my Class? A: Once you’ve paid, you can access/view your Class by going to the MY ACCOUNT section of National Quilters Circle. The MY ACCOUNT link is in the upper right-hand area of the website. Within your MY ACCOUNT, a section labeled “My Classes” will appear, including a link to watch the video of your Class. You’ll also receive an email confirmation after your purchase, which will include a link to view your Class. You can access your Class as many times as you wish, and you’ll never lose access to your Account information. Just be sure to “Log In” for access to MY ACCOUNT.
- Q: Do I have to take the Class right away? A: No. Any Class you buy will be accessible to you always. You can view your Class whenever you want, and you can view individual Sessions in whatever order you like.
- Q: Is there a limit on the times I can view my Class? A: No. Your access never expires. You can view any Class you purchase as many times as you want, whenever you want.
- Q: Can I view a Class on my tablet device or mobile phone? A: No problem. Most newer-model smartphones or other mobile/tablet devices with an internet connection are able to play the Class videos. Simply Log In on National Quilters Circle, and you can view any Class you’ve bought through the MY ACCOUNT section. Or, you can click on the “View Class” link within the email confirmation you’ll receive upon your purchase.
- Q: How do I get access to the Bonus Materials for the Class? A: Until you purchase a Class, the Bonus material (any extra videos, download materials, etc.) will not be accessible. Once you purchase a Class, and go to view your Class, each individual Bonus element is accessible by simply clicking on each item. You’ll find the Bonus Materials directly below your main Class viewer frame. You can access the bonus materials as many times as you like and/or save them to your device.
- Q: How does the Class Q&A Resource benefit work? A: Once you purchase any Class, within the Class viewing page, you’ll have access to post a question, comment or tip in the Class Discussion area. This is not a “live chat,” but your Class Instructor will answer posted questions and provide tips regularly. You can also view other Class participants’ questions and input to take part in this virtual dialogue among others who have taken the Class and are willing to share tips, answers, or ideas.
- Q: Can I print out Class details? A: For any Bonus Material that is a PDF Download, yes you can. Just click on the icon/button for the Bonus element you want, and print with your local printer.
- Q: What are PDF downloads? A: These are simply documents, plans, or written materials that are formatted in a way to print out and retain for reference. By simply clicking on the icon/link for any PDF Download that is included with a Class, you can print that document on your own printer or simply view the contents on your computer/mobile device.
- Q: Are there any system requirements to view the Class video content? A: Your Class video content is best when viewed on a computer manufactured in the past couple of years with a good broadband Internet connection (not dialup). We also highly recommend using the latest version of Firefox, Safari, or Chrome as your Internet Browser, though recent versions of Internet Explorer will work as well. The recommended screen resolution is 1024 x 768 or larger.
- Q: Why do you need my email? A: We need it to acknowledge your purchase of a Class, and send you a confirmation of your transaction. Also, in order to maintain your permanent access to the Class videos, you’ll need to Login to www.nationalquilterscircle.com. We guarantee that we will not share your email with any third parties. You may receive email updates from NQC from time to time, with details of new Classes and updates. You can easily unsubscribe when you receive any email.
- Q: Can I get a refund if I don’t like the Class? A: Because you’ll have full access to all the materials and content that is presented in the Class immediately, we can’t offer a refund after purchase. Please review the Class Preview video and the various written descriptions of the Class and each Session before you purchase, so you have a good understanding of the Class content.
- Q: How do I contact National Quilters Circle? A: If your question is about the Class content, please use the Class Discussion benefit to ask your question online – and you'll receive feedback from the Class Instructor. Even your fellow Class participants may jump in to offer tips and advice from their experience. If you have other questions or need help, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us toll-free, at 1-855-253-0822. Service Representatives will be available Monday-Friday, from 8:00AM to 4:30 PM Central time, excluding normal holidays.
Bonus Materials Included
Class Resource: Building Blocks ?
Class Resource: Designing with Jelly Rolls ?
Class Resource: Tips for Perfect Strip Piecing ?
Class Project: Sampler Quilt Directions ?
Meet Your Expert Video ?