Here, Heather will show various quilts that use feather, flower and leaf motifs in their quilting and will talk about why those motifs were chosen for those particular quilts, how the size and scale of the motifs used were determined and what is working or not working with the quilting.
Machine quilting has become a well respected art form. Good quilting can take a simple quilt top and turn it into a thing of exquisite beauty.
If you have learned most of the basics such as stippling, how to achieve tiny linked circles, know how to form smooth swirls and pointed stars then you’re probably ready to move on to the more complex designs of feathers and flowers. These two motifs are powerful designs and they can add a lot of interest and beauty to your quilts but they can also overwhelm the piecing.
In this class, Heather Thomas will not only show you how to stitch them without ever having to mark the surface of your quilt, she’ll also teach you when and where to use them and when not to use them.
You’ll begin the process with drawing practice and then move on to actual stitching on practice quilt sandwiches. Heather will show you how to fit feathers into borders, blocks and triangles and how to link flowers and leaves for all over designs in borders or sashing and how to use them as stand alone motifs in blocks etc.
This class is for anyone who wants to take their free motion quilting to the next level.
Free-Motion Designs for All-Over Patterns Book ($12 Value)
Endless inspiration from your favorite quilters!
Want inspiration for your free-motion quilting? Now you have the perfect tool! This spiral-bound book is full of designs—JUST designs—and will lay flat on your work surface or your quilt to keep your hands on the quilt and that needle moving! The second in a new series, this visual guide is filled with over 75 continuous-line designs from your favorite designers to get you stitching. Perfect for domestic and longarm machines.
Free-Motion Block Designs Book ($12 Value)
Endless inspiration from your favorite quilters!
Want inspiration for your free-motion quilting? Now you have the perfect tool! This spiral-bound book is full of designs—JUST designs—and will lay flat on your work surface to keep your hands on the quilt and that needle moving! The first in a new series, this visual guide is filled with over 75 diverse block designs from your favorite designers to get you stitching.
NOTE: You’ll receive this Class video instruction in two forms: As on-demand streaming video (in your NQC Account); and as a physical DVD, mailed to you.
- Q: How Do I Know What The Class Covers? A: Every Class has a free Preview video you can watch, to give you a flavor of the Instructor and the skills or project that will be covered. In addition, the Overview tab includes a thorough written description of the Class. And finally, each Class Session has a brief written summary of the content in that Session, including the length of each Session video. You will get a good feel for the Class content by reviewing these resources.
- Q: Do I Have To Be A Member Of Nationals Quilters Circle To Purchase A Class? A: No you don’t. While Premium Members will receive regular offers for special deals on NQC content, Classes are not reserved exclusively for Members. If you buy a Class as a non-member, we’re sure you’d also enjoy having access to our full library of great woodworking videos and articles as a Member, so give it a try.
- Q: How Do I Purchase A Class? A: First you should decide that the Class is what you want. Review the Class Preview video and the various written descriptions of the Class and each Session before you purchase, so you have a good understanding of the Class content. When you’re ready to purchase and gain access to the Class, simply click the “Add to Cart” button, and proceed through the Checkout process.
- Q: How Do I Access/View My Class? A: Once you’ve paid, you can access/view your Class by going to the MY ACCOUNT section of National Quilters Circle. The MY ACCOUNT link is in the upper right-hand area of the website. Within your MY ACCOUNT, a section labeled “My Classes” will appear, including a link to watch the video of your Class. You’ll also receive an email confirmation after your purchase, which will include a link to view your Class. You can access your Class as many times as you wish, and you’ll never lose access to your Account information. Just be sure to “Log In” for access to MY ACCOUNT.
- Q: Do I Have To Take The Class Right Away? A: No. Any Class you buy will be accessible to you always. You can view your Class whenever you want, and you can view individual Sessions in whatever order you like.
- Q: Is There A Limit On The Times I Can View My Class? A: No. Your access never expires. You can view any Class you purchase as many times as you want, whenever you want.
- Q: Can I View A Class On My Tablet Device Or Mobile Phone? A: No problem. Most newer-model smartphones or other mobile/tablet devices with an internet connection are able to play the Class videos. Simply Log In on National Quilters Circle, and you can view any Class you’ve bought through the MY ACCOUNT section. Or, you can click on the “View Class” link within the email confirmation you’ll receive upon your purchase.
- Q: How Do I Get Access To The Bonus Materials For The Class? A: Until you purchase a Class, the Bonus material (any extra videos, download materials, etc.) will not be accessible. Once you purchase a Class, and go to view your Class, each individual Bonus element is accessible by simply clicking on each item. You’ll find the Bonus Materials directly below your main Class viewer frame. You can access the bonus materials as many times as you like and/or save them to your device.
- Q: How Does The Class Q&A Resource Benefit Work? A: Once you purchase any Class, within the Class viewing page, you’ll have access to post a question, comment or tip in the Class Discussion area. This is not a “live chat,” but your Class Instructor will answer posted questions and provide tips regularly. You can also view other Class participants’ questions and input to take part in this virtual dialogue among others who have taken the Class and are willing to share tips, answers, or ideas.
- Q: Can I Print Out Class Details? A: For any Bonus Material that is a PDF Download, yes you can. Just click on the icon/button for the Bonus element you want, and print with your local printer.
- Q: What Are PDF Downloads? A: These are simply documents, plans, or written materials that are formatted in a way to print out and retain for reference. By simply clicking on the icon/link for any PDF Download that is included with a Class, you can print that document on your own printer or simply view the contents on your computer/mobile device.
- Q: Are There Any System Requirements To View The Class Video Content? A: Your Class video content is best when viewed on a computer manufactured in the past couple of years with a good broadband Internet connection (not dialup). We also highly recommend using the latest version of Firefox, Safari, or Chrome as your Internet Browser, though recent versions of Internet Explorer will work as well. The recommended screen resolution is 1024 x 768 or larger.
- Q: Why Do You Need My Email? A: We need it to acknowledge your purchase of a Class, and send you a confirmation of your transaction. Also, in order to maintain your permanent access to the Class videos, you’ll need to Login to www.nationalquilterscircle.com. We guarantee that we will not share your email with any third parties. You may receive email updates from NQC from time to time, with details of new Classes and updates. You can easily unsubscribe when you receive any email.
- Q: Can I Get A Refund If I Don’t Like The Class? A: Because you’ll have full access to all the materials and content that is presented in the Class immediately, we can’t offer a refund after purchase. Please review the Class Preview video and the various written descriptions of the Class and each Session before you purchase, so you have a good understanding of the Class content.
- Q: How Do I Contact National Quilters Circle? A: If your question is about the Class content, please use the Class Discussion benefit to ask your question online – and you'll receive feedback from the Class Instructor. Even your fellow Class participants may jump in to offer tips and advice from their experience. If you have other questions or need help, you can email us at email@example.com or call us toll-free, at 1-855-253-0822. Service Representatives will be available Monday-Friday, from 7:30 AM to 5:30 PM Central time, excluding normal holidays.
Bonus Materials Included
Class Resource: Motif Templates ?
Meet Your Expert ?