Windmills and Pinwheels Quilt Block Challenge: Week 3

We are already on week 3 of the National Quilters Circle Quilt Block Challenge: Windmills and Pinwheels! How have the first two weeks gone for you? We are so excited to get working on the third block, and can’t wait to see what you create. Over the course of eight weeks we will be making the Windmills and Pinwheels pattern designed by Toby Lischko of Gateway Quilts and Stuff.

The Windmills and Pinwheels quilt is a fun blend of pieced points and curved applique. Made in a medallion style, you can either piece or applique a large center block and then build upon the center as you work your way through this eight- week challenge. For several of the blocks you will be given the choice of patterns- one a pieced block designed by Toby and one a slightly different pieced version designed by Ashley that incorporates applique. The applique design inspiration came from one of the main print fabrics, which features flowers. While we have provided applique templates for you to create the same designs, feel free to play around and create your own- we can’t wait to see what you come up with!

Looking for the fabric requirements? Find them here!

The finished quilt size for the large option is 86” x 86” and the small option is 58” x 58” Click the button below to download a PDF with instructions for your first block, or the center applique pattern to build around. And make sure to share your progress in the Quilt Block Challenge Facebook Group – we can’t wait to see everyone’s work!

Download Now Button

If you haven’t signed up for the Quilt Block Challenge, there’s still time! You can sign up here to make sure you get the block assignments delivered to your inbox each week.

Find the other challenge materials here:
Fabric Requirements
Windmills and Pinwheels Week 1
Windmills and Pinwheels Week 2
Windmills and Pinwheels Week 3
Windmills and Pinwheels Week 4
Windmills and Pinwheels Week 5-6
Windmills and Pinwheels Week 7
Windmills and Pinwheels Week 8

42 Responses to “Windmills and Pinwheels Quilt Block Challenge: Week 3”
  1. Janice Flaherty

I didn’t realize I needed to sign up. I have square 1 done, but I am doing the quilt as a scrappy quilt. Thank you.

2. Shirley Denton

Why do you have to charge for joining? I have a very low income and love to quilt but it gets expenci
    gets expensive when you have to join then add everything else.

Dear Shirley,

Thank you for contacting us. I am happy to hear you are interested in the Premium Membership. Please follow the steps below to receive the annual membership at an introductory rate of $4.04:
      1. Click on the email link: https://go.nationalquilterscircle.com/c17338
      2. Click on the Premium Membership offer.
      3. The Checkout page will display your Premium Membership purchase.
      4. Fill in your Billing Details and create an account password.
      5. Fill in your debit/credit card information.
      6. Finish by clicking Complete Order.
      You will receive a confirmation email when your order has been completed. We greatly appreciate your business!
      If you have further questions, please contact us at 1-855- – , or chat with us on our site.

• Riana Noyes

Shirley Denton you don’t need to pay a fee to participate in the challenge! Just sign up with email to get the patterns ( for free) sent to your inbox. The ” membership fee” is for membership to National Quilters Circle organization.

3. Carlene M Jansa

Why can’t I download week 3. I have already signed up and got week 1 and 2 with no problem?

4. Cindy winter

I find it next to impossible to find and download. Can’t you make it easier? Others have already made block 3 and it shows up in black and will not open to download, Can’t you send it to my e mail? I am signed up for challenge. :help! I enjoy the challenge and have first 2 weeks done.

5. sallyc

I can’t seem to find the overall picture of the quilt (without appliques). Can anyone help with this one?

6. Karen

I recently join NCO on Facebook, and I’m enjoying watching how people are progressing on your current block challenge. Can you tell me when you’re expected to start another series. I’m currently involved in finishing my mom’s quilt again, like the ones you post is a style of flying geese. I am sewing Dutchman’s puzzle. Any information would be helpful

Dear Karen,

Thank you for contacting us.

The date has not yet been decided, there are usually 4 a year. Some but not all of the past challenges will remain on the site.

If you have any other concerns, please contact us at 1-855-706-3538, or chat with us on our site.

We greatly appreciate your business!

7. Marie

For block 3 construction without the accudie. Flying geese units number 3. says using method 2 in the “general piecing instructions…” I cannot find the general piecing instructions. Please send a link!

8. Julie

I am using the Accuquilt to cut out my fabric for this challenge. For fabric 3 it says to cut the fabric using #7 die placing the fabric right side up. In the directions the picture for sewing the chevron unit together the fabric should have been cut wrong side down. Am I wrong? Before I sew these up wrong please let me know.
    Thanks!

Dear Julie,

Thank you for your patience.

Here is the response from the expert:

Hi,

You can actually do them either way and the block will still come together, fabric facing down will just have your pinwheels spinning one way and facing up will have it spinning the other. Either look great in the design and many people have been doing them a combination of both ways.

National Quilters Circle

9. Melody Hibbitts

Where can I find the general instructions for windmills and pinwheels quilt block challenge?

Dear Judy,

Thank you for contacting us.

You have two options to make this quilt, the first is with no applique. You just download the blocks weekly and finish as normal. If you’d like to make the applique patterns, then you start with the center applique block, and mix and match your own quilt. There will also be applique patterns provided on weeks 2, 3, and 7. Same fabric requirements.

We greatly appreciate your business!

10. Barb Attfield

How can I print off the appliqué pattern with pictures? My printer will not print the pictures. Is there a reason for that?
    Thanks

Dear Barb,

Thank you for contacting us.

The most common printer issue is you are not printing at 100%

We greatly appreciate your business!

Dear Lynn,

Thank you for contacting us.

Fabric requirements are found here: https://www.nationalquilterscircle.com/article/windmills-week-1/

We greatly appreciate your business!

11. Lucille

I cannot find measurement for inside border. How wide do I cut it? What is the size of the block after 1st (inside) border has been added? Thank you.

12. Roslyn

I dont see the putting together instructions in week 3 block to put it together up to fhis point ie weeks 1 2 and 3..am I missing something???

Dear Roslyn,

Week five contains finishing instructions for the small quilt unless you are waiting for week 7 to make different appliqués to mix in.

We greatly appreciate your business!

Dear Divera,

Thank you for contacting us. I am happy to hear you are interested in the Premium Membership. Please follow the steps below to receive the annual membership at an introductory rate of $3.00:
      1. Click on the email link: https://go.nationalquilterscircle.com/c17874
      2. Click on the Premium Membership offer.
      3. The Checkout page will display your Premium Membership purchase.
      4. Fill in your Billing Details and create an account password.
      5. Fill in your debit/credit card information.
      6. Finish by clicking Complete Order.

If you have further questions, please contact us at 1-855-706-3538, or chat with us on our site.