Windmills and Pinwheels Quilt Block Challenge: Week 2

The first week of the National Quilters Circle Quilt Block Challenge: Windmills and Pinwheels was a great success. We love seeing all the beautiful fabric combinations you are all choosing. Are you ready for the block two? Over the course of eight weeks we will be making the Windmills and Pinwheels pattern designed by Toby Lischko of Gateway Quilts and Stuff.

The Windmills and Pinwheels quilt is a fun blend of pieced points and curved applique. Made in a medallion style, you can either piece or applique a large center block and then build upon the center as you work your way through this eight- week challenge. For several of the blocks you will be given the choice of patterns- one a pieced block designed by Toby and one a slightly different pieced version designed by Ashley that incorporates applique. The applique design inspiration came from one of the main print fabrics, which features flowers. While we have provided applique templates for you to create the same designs, feel free to play around and create your own- we can’t wait to see what you come up with!

Looking for the fabric requirements? Find them here!

The finished quilt size for the large option is 86” x 86” and the small option is 58” x 58” Click the button below to download a PDF with instructions for your first block, or the center applique pattern to build around. And make sure to share your progress in the Quilt Block Challenge Facebook Group – we can’t wait to see everyone’s work!

Download Now Button

If you haven’t signed up for the Quilt Block Challenge, there’s still time! You can sign up here to make sure you get the block assignments delivered to your inbox each week.

Find the other challenge materials here:
Fabric Requirements
Windmills and Pinwheels Week 1
Windmills and Pinwheels Week 2
Windmills and Pinwheels Week 3
Windmills and Pinwheels Week 4
Windmills and Pinwheels Week 5-6
Windmills and Pinwheels Week 7
Windmills and Pinwheels Week 8

56 Responses to “Windmills and Pinwheels Quilt Block Challenge: Week 2”

Dear Pat,

Thank you fro contacting us.

You may want to sign up again: https://go.nationalquilterscircle.com/a17042/

There could have been a type-o with your email address. And check spam/junk folder to see if they were misdirected.

If you have any other concerns, please contact us at 1-855-706-3538, or chat with us on our site.

We greatly appreciate your business!

1. Carol Topsnik

Why is it that I signed up online at least 3 times but have never received an email regarding this challenge? Thanks

Dear Carol,

Thank you for contacting us.

Here is the link you can use to access the challenge with the released weeks 1 and 2: https://www.nationalquilterscircle.com/article/windmills-week-1/

If you have any further questions, please contact Customer Service at 1-855-706-3538, at your earliest convenience, or chat with us on our site.

We greatly appreciate your business!

2. Riana Noyes

I thought l’d joined already, got first block on link…but have not received block #2 via email. Are we sent a link? I don’t see block # 2 in files section of fb page either.

3. Nicole Daniel

I cannot see week 2 pattern and instructions. It doesn’t show me the pattern when I click on week 2

4. Della Riel

I didn’t get my Email today and I can only print it from Email. Please send

Dear Della,

Thank you for contacting us.

You may want to check spam/junk folders to see if they were misdirected, and also save our address as coming from a safe sender will help too.

We greatly appreciate your business!

5. Karen

Excited after seeing the fabric choices on this years participating quilters. Have not received email so the files are absolutely needed

Dear Karen,

Thank you for contacting us.

Here is the link for the challenge: https://www.nationalquilterscircle.com/article/windmills-week-1/

If you signed up and are not getting the emails you should check your spam in box and save our address as a safe sender.

We greatly appreciate your business!

6. Ronda Benjamin

I can’t open week 2 , love the challenges, have a lot of trouble opening challenge. Help what am I doing wrong.

7. Wendy Decker

I would like to see actual pictures of the quilts that were made, not just the computer generated ones. The video said they were going to post them, but haven’t seen them yet.

8. Judy Pruyne

I signed up for the Block of the Week about a month ago. I never received the emails. My friend is sending them to me. May I please get on your list. Thank you. Judy

Dear Judy,

Thank you for contacting us.

Please sign up here: https://go.nationalquilterscircle.com/a17042/

Maybe there was a type-o in the email address.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

We greatly appreciate your business!

9. Jo Tozer

I hate posting negatives but really, this is the third challenge. I have participated in with this site and dearly love what evolves but
    I always have troubles with the absent emails and difficulty downloading and saving from facebook. Can we please get through a challenge without all the technical callenges. Please.

Dear Jo,

Thank you for contacting us.

I appreciate your feedback and it has been forwarded to the proper department. Your comments are important to us and help with the development of our online video streaming community. We will continue to listen and work hard for your complete satisfaction.

If you have any other questions, please contact us at 1-855-706-3538, or chat with us on our site.

Dear Elaine,

Thank you for contacting us.

Here is the sign up link to join the challenge: https://go.nationalquilterscircle.com/a17042/

We greatly appreciate your business!

10. cian5tsn

Have you thought of listing responses with the most recent one first? I noticed in the responses in Week 1 that there were additions/modifications to the instructions. Joan, It would seem to make sense that the most current info should be listed first instead of having to read/scroll through all the responses. I am enjoying reading the challenge and am headed to the fabric store today to get started! I believe the confusion about the release of Week 2 was that it was supposed to be released Friday, and I received my link today, Monday.

Dear Linda,

Thank you for contacting us.

Unfortunately there is only one way for me to go through these comments.

We greatly appreciate your business!

11. Jennifer Schneider

I haven’t been able to get week 2 to come up yet? do you know why?

12. Dolly

Don t know how much I’ll get to do. Having some health issues, but will do what I can

13. Sheila Schuette

Do you have to sigh in after every block cause today is the start of the second block.

14. Glori

Joan I have not had any issues on getting my instructions for the block, maybe it is the internet company that is messing up. I think you and the others are doing a fantastic job, keeping up with everyones problems. You are doing great. I can’t wait for the next block.

Thanks Gloria,

That means a lot.

15. Michelle

I’m not receiving the weekly blocks and I did sign up, I’ve checked all that was received and I’ve received your advertisements, but not the blocks.

16. Dawn Sivert

I spent most of my life sewing garments and about 10 years ago I started quilting and I just can’t get enough of it. I love trying different challenges.

17. Melanie

I’m a little confused on the cutting instructions. I am making the small quilt and thought I would use the smaller sizes listed, is that right?

Dear Melanie,

Thank you for contacting us. And thank you for your patience.

The experts had this to say: The dyes used are from the 8″ AccuQuilt cube.

We greatly appreciate your business!

18. Diana Kendall

This challenge is exactly what I needed to get inspired to quilt this summer.. I appreciate this group and love the sharing! Thanks for the fun!!

19. JACKIE STILLMAN

I just finished the four blocks for week 2. Do I sew them together or what? The instructions just say to make four blocks but nothing after that