Introduction to NQC Block Challenge: Lexington Sampler

Welcome, Quilters!

It is such a pleasure to have this opportunity to meet all of you! My name is Susan Guzman and I will be your host for the new National Quilters Circle 9-Week Block Challenge beginning this month on May 24th.

The challenge will work a bit differently than it has in the past. You will have a choice of making either a large throw size quilt, with a finished size of 68 ½” square, or a bed size quilt, with a finished size of 88 ½” square. There will be a bonus block for the center of the quilt if you wish to make it. If you choose to make the throw size quilt, your challenge will end in Week 8. If you choose to make the bed size quilt, your challenge will end in Week 9.

I’ve named the quilt Lexington Sampler after a group of ladies who became so special to me while living in Lexington, South Carolina. I don’t believe they realized how much they touched my life when my husband and I moved there, not knowing a soul. When I met Lynn, she immediately brought me into her fold and began by inviting me to her home to sew with all of her friends. You see, working from home didn’t allow me the opportunity to meet many people, so having the ability to get to know local quilters and get to know them on a personal level (…and so quickly!), was priceless.

Early on, too, I met Linda through our local quilt shop owner. In addition to becoming my quilter, she became a close friend and my walking buddy. It also happened that she was a part of the group of ladies I became close with. My new friends rotated among all of their homes and each person made their day unique and special; time for sewing, providing refreshments, and taking time to put together a delicious lunch. I have such meaningful memories from the times we all spent together, and each one of those ladies hold a special place in my heart.

The Lexington Sampler on-point center design represents the close-knit community of quilters that brought such light into my life. The blocks we’ll be making are two of the same each week and represent the kindred spirit I felt with each of the ladies, one-on-one. The pretty ghost blocks in the corners represent those ladies that were so kind to me at guild meetings that I didn’t have the chance to get to know better, but who still mean so much to me by sharing their smiles, their kindness, and their hospitality, of which I cherish to this day.

During the weeks ahead, you will be provided with all of the support needed to complete your quilt top. I’ll host weekly videos on the Facebook NQC Block Challenge Group page to offer tips and tricks on making the quilt along the way. Be sure to watch the videos for that extra support. I’ll talk about things, such as: Working with directional fabrics, the importance of pinning and pressing, working with bias cuts, and choosing the right fabrics for your project.

I’m so thrilled to go through this journey with you and I hope it will be as fun for you as it was for me in creating it!

462 Responses to “Introduction to NQC Block Challenge: Lexington Sampler”
  1. Jean manheimer

I look forward to this as I live in Lexington and know some of the people you spoke of.

2. Romila

Welcome Susan! So nice to have another designer join us! not sure if I’ll be participating! (I have other irons in the fire) 😉 I will be following, I have learned sew much from this group and made new friends!

• Susan Guzman

Thank you very much, Romila, for the warm welcome! Online groups make for a great place to meet new friends, for sure! Happy quilting!

Hello Helen,

The Fabric Requirements will be sent out at a later date before the challenge starts.

Thanks,

• Lisa

Have the fabric requirements been sent out? It begins tomorrow and I have not received any emails with specifics on fabric.

Hello Lisa,

The fabric requirements will be emailed out today in our E-newsletter, along with Block 1.

Thanks,

• Kathy Gaines

I received the email with the link to Block 1 of the Challenge, but I did not see any fabric requirements listed in the email or on the webpage that it links to. Were the requirements sent separately?
            Thanks, Kathy

• Kathy Gaines

I found the fabric requirements when I opened the instructions file, sorry that I messaged before looking better… kathy

3. Charlene Rencher

Looking forward to making a quilt design born out of friendship.

4. Dee Bloomfield

Does the quilt have to be in the same colours as your challenge quilt?

Hello Dee,

No, it does not- you can choose any kind of color scheme you like! We will even be showing another color option when then challenge begins tomorrow!

5. Lynn Buske

Thanks for the kind words Suz! It was a nice time, getting together to quilt each week. Big changes, the shop is gone but we have become the Wednesday night ladies who meet at our new Hobby Lobby. Miss you girl!

6. Cindy lewis

To have had a beginning with a group of like minded people muse have been heaven

7. Liz Manuel

So looking forward to this challenge. As a fairly new quilter I am learning so much in these challenges.

8. Monica Richmond

I hope my health stays in check. I live with severe chronic pain, I cant guarrantee I can make a entire quilt, but I can watch and listen. At the end i may not hsve a quilt, but maybe i will have learned some skills so that one day when i am cured i will make a beautiful quilt luke you do.

• Susan Guzman

Hi Monica! I admire your determination and will keep you in my prayers. I’m so thrilled you’re here and I wish you well. If you have any questions along the way, please ask. My best to you, dear!

9. Leslie

This will be my first time to participate and I am excited about learning

• Susan Guzman

Welcome, Leslie, to you and to all first time participants! I encourage you to ask questions along the way when they pop up. Also, you can ask questions during NQC’s monthly LIVE QuiltChats. Have fun creating!

10. Barbara Winterberg

I have someone who is very dear to me and lives in Lexington, Ky. I can’t wait to get started.

Hello Jeni,

Enjoy!

11. LeAnn

It is lovely to meet you and I am looking forward to the sampler. Thank you.

Hello Louise,

The challenge is completely free of charge.

Enjoy!

12. Joan Kuhn

I will enjoy learning more…thank you for the welcome letter…you sound as warm and loving as your freinds you share about

• Susan Guzman

Hi Joan! You are so welcome, and I really appreciate your kind words. Have fun, and please do let us know if you have any questions!

Hello Kemper,

The challenge is completely free of charge.

Enjoy!

13. Diane

Wondering where I can find the “Supply List” for the Lexington Quilt?

Hi Diane, the fabric requirement list will be posted on our site within the next couple weeks. Keep an eye on your email!
      Thanks, Hallie National Quilters Circle Video Membership

14. Linda Burrage

Never done a challenge through NQC I will see if I can stay on task

15. JaniceTorres

So excited about new challenge, can’t wait to get started, from Willcox, Arizona.

16. Peggy Grosrenaud

I’m a slow learner but so glad to be a part of this group. Thanks for adding me.

17. stephanie valanzola

Excited to be part of the group. Looking forward to the challenge!

18. Marlene Christophersen

Looking forward to making the quilt size. Looks very interesting. Thanks

19. Sondra Sheppard

I am very excited to be a part of this group. I am new to on line quilting groups.

20. Dee Barnes

Can’t wait to get moved into my “playhouse” to get some serious quilt time in! Thanks for offering this challenge

21. Carmen Schmidt

I usually don’t quilt in the summer but, would like to try this. Hope I have time.

22. Nancy

Never joined a Facebook group before – curious to see how it works🤗

23. Donette

So excited to start. Love your story of Lexington sc. the south is all about hospitality. Never want to leave my birth place n.c.

24. Dee Bloomfield

This will be my first challenge, so exciting, I am really looking forward to it.

25. Sharleen

Beautiful Quilt, wondering what the bonus block for the center looks like?

26. Fred Kornegay

This challenge should be lots of fun, and I have lots of nice people to quilt with me.

27. Kathleen Roman

This is the first challenge or group project for me. I am exciting to get started.

28. Mary Bertrang

Looking forward to learning more about quilting and enjoying the process and seeing everyone’s project thanks

29. Lucille Castonguay

I have just signed up for the Lexington Sampler NQC Block Challenge. Will you be sending out a fabric requirement listing prior to week 1? Thank you. Look forward to the next 9 weeks.

Hello Lucille,

The fabric requirements will be sent out on the first day of the challenge, May 24th.

Thanks,

30. Shelley-Anne

I’m excited about this challenge. Going shopping in Lancaster Pennsylvania tomorrow until Sunday

31. Rebecca Vaughn

so looking forward to doing your quilt, looks lovely, really excited

32. Mary K. Eversman

So excited to see and make this Block Challenge with you….Sandi Medina is my sister…..
    Are you living in Colorado or Lexington area now?

33. Carol Maureen

I am wondering what size this quilt will be. Thank you for letting me join. I am from Southern Ontario, Canada.

Hello Carol,

The fabric requirements along with more information on the quilt will be included in block 1, sent out on 5/24.

Have fun!

34. Kelley

Hello, I haven’t ever been a part of a challenge. I am sooo looking forward to this opportunity. I am not sure if I would be considered self taught, but I am YouTube taught 😃. I have made 3 tops. I am so excited to learn different techniques, tips and tricks. While I hope to be able to sew along with everyone on the Facebook page, I will also have contractors working on our home as we were flooded by hurricane Harvey, so I may have to do some catching up at times. I am so excited.

35. Elizabeth

I lived in Lexington, SC for nine years and still have family there! Beautiful place and beautiful quilt!

36. Leslie Schumacher

37. Leslie Schumacher

I have been looking forward to making this quilt ever since I saw it. Looks awesome. Anxious to get started.

38. June Vandenberg

Newly retired. A weekly challenge will keep me focused. Hopefully!

Hello Gayle,

Block 1 will be sent out tomorrow in our weekly E-newsletter.

Have Fun!

39. Claudia Wilson

The quilt is so beautiful!!! The new line of French General fabrics are so appealing to the eye – can’t wait for it to come to our LQS.

40. Alice

Excited to start this new process. Thank you for your gorgeous quilt design.

41. Jocelyn Melum

I just signed up for the challenge and am wondering if the fabric requirements have been sent out…

Hello Jocelyn,

Have Fun!

Hello Diane,

Have Fun!

Hello Shirley,

The first block will be emailed out later today in our E-Newsletter.

Thanks,

42. Brenda Mallette

I have been quilting many years, but over never done a challenge. Excited!!!

43. Peggy Creadon

Where do I find the fabric list? New to your challenge and not sure where to look.

Hello Peggy,

The fabric requirements will be sent out today in our E-Newsletter with the first block.

Have Fun!

44. CArmen

OK, I’ve waited and now I still can’t find the 1st block of the challenge. Please help me.

Hello Carmen,

The first block will be emailed out later today in our E-Newsletter.

Thanks,

45. Cindy Grubbs

I am very excited about this challenge. Unfortunately, I have “joined” at least 5 different times trying to find the first block with no success. I have even tried the file field and can’t find it. I don’t mean to be a pain, but could someone please help me? The quilt looks beautiful and I am anxious to start! Thanks!

Hello Cindy,

The first block will be emailed out later today in our E-Newsletter.

Thanks,

46. Joalice

Looking forward to using up some of my stash! I’ve never done an online quilt along before.

Hello Linda,

The fabric is of your choosing. You can either use something you have in your stash at home or purchase at a local fabric store.

Enjoy!

Hello Jane,

Please feel free to contact our customer service team at 1-855-706-3538 and they can try to help troubleshoot the problem with you.

Thanks,

47. jodell wells

love doing your block challenge thank you for doing this for people like me . gives me something to do . this s relaxing to me in my life right now. thank again jodell

48. Susan Austin

Thanks for allowing me to take part in this. I am trying to get back into the swing of things after a difficult start to 2018! This will be fun!

49. Wayne Geddis

Looking forward to making this beautiful quilt and possibly get to know some of the other quilters.

50. Edwina Mitchell

I am looking forward to this as I have never done anything like it and have already promised it to my Husbands Niece Julie when it is done. Depending on how it lays on my Queen Size Bed as to weather i will be adding more blocks to make it cover more fully for her.

51. Kathryn Lyman

Please to send the email. Thanks. I have signed up numerous times.

52. Karen

Can you post the measurements for the T setting triangles? I would like to fussy cut them, then use the rest of the fabric in the blocks

Hi Karen,

The measurements for the setting triangles will not be available until further on in the challenge when we reach the week for assembly.

53. Rose Bagwell

Would love to participate on this sampler journey, to improve my skills.

54. Bette

This quilt looks amazing as is your intro about your time in Lexington and the special women you met there. I already have an amazing collection of blue and white fabric waiting for just the right pattern. Looking forward to starting block 1.

55. Tracey L

I look forward to this project. Still hand quilting the last challenge. Almost done to start this one. Thanks

56. sandra johnson

I know I am not stupid. I have tried to get these instructions numerous times and no email and no instructions. this is my first time and maybe my last. what is the problem

57. Laurie Ogden

Now that school and tutoring is winding down for the year, I’ve got a summer to ‘play’ … sewing is my happy place

58. Julie Paulaski

I am looking forward to this challenge, I may not be able to keep up as much as I would like, (third shift life) but will do my best. Thanks!

59. Toni

What a beautiful quilt. I hope that I am able to complete it an do it justice 🌼

60. Sallysewnsew

Hi Susan. Thanks for your devotion to the art and teaching! Look forward to following along.

61. Nancy Bogard

I am so looking forward to working on this. Thank you for giving up your time to help.

62. elizabeth lewis

I usually like to pre cut all my fabric ahead time, did I miss something ? Or is this a cut as you go?

63. Linda McCoy

Hi – I received email with link for Block1, but nothing received giving fabric requirements, getting started, etc. Is there a link that can be forwarded? Or resend if via email, please. Thank You!

Hello Linda,

The fabric requirements are located within the email for Block one. Click on Download Bed size Instructions or Download Throw Size Instructions. The download will include your fabric requirements along with instructions to your first block.

Thanks,

64. Deb Dumas

Hi Susan. Really looking forward to this challenge and sharpening my skills!

65. Margaret Wissler

I’m new to the quilt sewing but I’m excited about the challenge. My mom’s name is also Susan Guzman, but from Texas. I’m excited to get her involved in this project with me.

Hello Suzanne,

For this challenge the instructions are supplied to you in a printable PDF.

Thanks,

66. Debra Clifford

I am lookin forward to this one, I live on a farm in Queensland, Australian

67. Livia

Can’t wait to get started! I Love, Love, Love to quilt! Love RED my favorite color!!!!

68. kathleen e babbitt

would like to work with my stash if I decide to make this one

69. Pat

I cannot wait to start this quilt as I belong to a guild that I love dearly.

70. Judy Cupps

I haven ‘t received the info yet. I’m a new member and I signed up late.

71. Carol Elliott

I love these challenges and enjoy learning new things from talented quilters.

72. Sharon

Thank you for heading this project I look forward to this quilt challenge.

73. Gem

Hi from Australia. Looking forward to attempting this one. I’ll be making it in girly colours for a friend who is expecting a baby. Center block I will put baby’s initials. If its a boy I’ll have to quickly make a 2nd!!!! I’m sure it will look so different to the red or grey.

74. Jen

Can’t wait to see everyones qullt blocks. Looking forward to making this quilt

75. Brenda

When will the block two be sent out? I am really enjoying making the Lexington Sampler.

Hello Brenda,

Block 2 will be emailed out later today in our E-Newsletter.

Thanks,

76. Kathleen Dyson

This is my first attempt at a Challenge. Should be fun as well as a learning experience.

77. Kat Morgan

Thank you for adding me. Looks like FUN…can’t wait to get started!

78. sandra johnson

where is block 2 and do I need to upgrade to premium to get newsletter

79. Donna Bedard

Just read all about this and have decided to join in on this. Anxious to get started , printing off list of fabric requirments….

80. Ann

This quilt looks challenging and very pretty!! Looking forward to starting. Thank you.

81. Dianne.gann

Can’t wait to get started. After looking at all the others I finally have an idea!!!!

82. Roseanne C Atkinson

This is such a gorgeous quilt!! I’m happy to be able to join in on this one.

83. Linda Merrihew

I can’t wait to get started. We just moved to south carolina recently. It will be a fub time. Thank you.

84. Janice Crosser

I really like the colors you used on the Lexington quilt. What line of fabric did you use on this quilt?

Hi Janice, the fabrics are from La Vie en Rouge collection by French General for Moda. This collection will be available in shops this August/September. We suggest checking with your local fabric store for their availability.
      Hallie National Quilters Circle Video Membership

85. Karen Simon

Hope to be able to get this done have not done a block challange before should be interesting

86. Karen Simon

I missed the first part so did not get the fabric requitment or full instructions for the quilt, how do I get them?

87. Sue Pluemer

I joined last week through the Facebook page. I was not given an option to fill out my email address. How do I get my name to go on the weekly e-newsletter? Thank you in advance.

88. Sue Pluemer

Please disregard my above note. I found the correct link to click, and have signed up. Thanks anyway.

89. Theresa MacNaughton

I have received instructions for quilt block two, but I have not received the instructions for quilt block one. Could you please email me quilt block number one. Thank you very much.

90. Nanette Campeau

Trying to use some of my stash. Will need to move in a couple of years and going to work on reducing stash.

91. Kathryn Mudrovich

I would love to join the quit block challenge, and enjoy the sharing of tips, ideas and color combinations.

92. Mary Cleghorn

Where can I find blocks 1 and 2 and the cutting and placement of blocks

93. Mary Ann Hennighan

Only met you a few times, but remember how cheerful you always were. We follow you success and are your biggest fan club. Keep up the good work.

94. Viann Otterson

I am new to quilting and looking forward to learning all I can!

95. Claudia Rice

Would love to be a part of your Lexington Sampler challenge. I live in Oklahoma.

96. Wanda Shumate

I thought I had signed up before but wasn’t receiving anything so signing up again.

97. mary e. hulick

love the pattern looking forward to making it the color and the design are just wonderful Mary E Huilck

98. carol snyder

Looking forward to this and going to use your colors – red and beige. And I love your story behind the name of this quilt.

99. Roberta R. Deen

I did not receive block 1, 3 or 4. Could you tell me where to access those?

100. Darlene Cary

Do I have time for another project? Well, no. Am I going to give it a try, anyway? Why not?!

101. Marge Simenson

Haven’t received block three instructions for the Lexington quilt sampler

102. Veronica Alexander

I missed block 3 some how. Can I get the link to that block? Thanks!

103. theresa storer

I have never done this before. I look forward to making this quilt. thank you.

104. Michelle Arthur

I joined but have not received anything via e mail since June 7, block 3. How do I access the subsequent weeks? I am not in the facebook group due to the overwhelming number of posts blowing up my feed.

105. Jane Gabbitas

Just starting the challenge. I need to do some catching up. Where can I find the patterns?

106. Ann

I can’t wait to start. I am trying to teach myself to quilt. This is exciting.

107. mary e. hulick

looking for the next block for the pattern Lexington Sampler Mary Hulick

108. Cheryll Norwood

A little late in starting but I will catch up . Im going to make the bed size quilt

109. Nell

I’m getting a late start but am excited to be a part of this challenge. Waiting to be accepted into the Facebook page.

110. Rose M Steinmetz

I just got to go through my emails and just found this email,I’m late on this will try and catch up.I’m going to love this challenge.

111. Barbara J Foster

I just saw this I love red ,We are getting ready to move so may be in fall when I get done.

112. Dianne cook

Started this through a friend but due to circumstances not got beyond block 1. I would love to complete it