Christmas Cheer Quilt Block Challenge: Week 1

It’s week one of our Holiday Quilt Block Challenge: Christmas Cheer! We’re ready to start quilting, are you? This challenge features a quilt designed by Ashley Hough, managing editor at National Quilters Circle. When finished, the quilt size is approximately 64″ x 64″.

Looking for the fabric requirements? Find them here!

Click the button below to download a PDF with the week one instructions. And make sure to share your progress in the Quilt Block Challenge Facebook Group – we can’t wait to see everyone’s work!

If you haven’t signed up for the Quilt Block Challenge, there’s still time! You can sign up here to make sure you get the block assignments delivered to your inbox each week.

Christmas Cheer Quilt Block Challenge: Fabric Requirements
Christmas Cheer Quilt Block Challenge: Week 1
Christmas Cheer Quilt Block Challenge: Week 2
Christmas Cheer Quilt Block Challenge: Week 3
Christmas Cheer Quilt Block Challenge: Week 4
Christmas Cheer Quilt Block Challenge: Finishing Instructions

77 Responses to “Christmas Cheer Quilt Block Challenge: Week 1”
  1. Eileen Norrie
    Eileen Norrie

I guess you really don’t want me to have this because you have made it impossibly complicated

Hello Kathleen,

Once you have the PDF put you can right click with your mouse. Then you will be given an option to print.

Let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

KathyRD

With my printer, I have to hit the “Print” key. But instead of choosing a printer, I have to choose “Save as PDF”. I save another copy as a PDF. THEN I go to THAT copy and Print it. That is how I have to download and print as a PDF.

Debbie

Take a deep breathe. I think you are letting yourself get overwhelmed. I have not started my block yet but others have posted and I am sure if you have questions someone can help you

2. Barbara
    Barbara

Looking forward to trying this Christmas Cheer Quilt Block Challenge! I might be a different or mixed colourway as I would like to use only material from my stash.

Hello Janet,

This is week 1! Make sure you signed up to get access to the Patterns.

Thank you!

Hello Marie,

I have included troubleshooting instructions below for you to try.
      1. If you are using a mobile device, please delete your internet history. To clear your cache, please click the link below and select the appropriate browser:
      a. http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser's-Cache
      2. If you are using a computer, please attempt a hard refresh of your browser by pressing and holding Ctrl + F5 on your keyboard.
      3. If you are on a Mac, please attempt a hard refresh of your browser by holding ⇧ Shift and click the Reload button. Or, hold down ⌘ Cmd and ⇧ Shift key and then press R.

Best regards.

Donna Hamilton

Looking forward to making a Christmas quilt! I’ve only made quilts for my family and grandchildren so far. I may be a little late on the first few squares as I’m visiting with my grandchildren now and it’s hard to do anything when there are 5, 3 year olds! My daughter has Quintuplets 🤪

3. angeljudi
    angeljudi

I just downloaded the pattern. Since I am new to the challenge, do you have to use the colors that are given or can you pick your own?

Hello Customer,

The fabric requirements colors are suggestions we have chosen. If do choose others keep us posted, we would love to see the outcome!

Thank you!

4. Pam Bellows
    Pam Bellows

What a fun project leading up to Christmas. Excited to get started! Thank you, NQC, for offering this quilt

5. Jane Taylor
    Jane Taylor

Well, I admit to be intimidated by the Challenge I started in September or October, hurt my back bending over a dining room table, never good at the Flying Geese, having to do and redo. I’d get discouraged and leave it for weeks, but now I am back to working on it again, week 3. My background is largely with Crazy Quilts/potholders, so it was quite a change. My blunders turned into Crazy Quilt potholders. But I am learning, and will work on and learn from the Christmas Cheer Challenge.

Hello Cinda,

Thank you for contacting us. Once you have the PDF pulled up. Right click on the it with your mouse. It will provide you a printing option.

Best regards.

Hello Winifred,

Thank you for contacting us. You can view Week 1 download by clicking on the blue download pattern button. You may have to check your downloads files to see it.

Best regards.

Hello Beverly,

Best regards.

Hello Shirley,

Thank you for contacting us. The first email you should of received was the fabric requirements of the whole quilt: Finished Quilt Size:
      Approximately 64” x 64”
      Fabric Requirements:
      (Based on 40”- 42” of usable fabric.
      Approximately 1/8 yard of ‘extra’ fabric added to each).
      • 1 ½ yards white
      • 1 ¾ yards light grey
      • 1 ¾ yards dark grey
      • Additional fabric needed for each applique shape.
      Suggested colors are red, green, brown, gold and silver.
      • Approximately 3 to 3 ½” yards of fusible web

With each week they also provide the individual block.
      Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Hello Judith,

Best regards.

Hello Alice,

Best regards.

ALICE

Finally found all the PDF files for week 1 and 2. Seriously behind already. I thought the instructions were going to be emailed each week. Well, better get hustling!

Hello Alice,

The instructions are emailed out as well. Or you can gain access to the current block challenge here on the site here. Keep up the good work!

Thank you!

6. LARRY
    LARRY

I have made machine appliqued snowflakes before. They are fun. I am beginning the challenge this morning.

Hello Cindy,

Best regards.

7. JULIE
    JULIE

Guess I won’t be able to participate because your link does not work! Very Disappointed!!!

Hello Julie,

I am sorry to hear this. What troubles are you having? I have tested the links and they are working correctly.

Thank you.

Hello Kim,

If you love the look of a fluffy, puffy, puckery, cozy, cuddly quilt, then prewashing fabric before quilting is not for you. Fabric is going to shrink after that first wash, so if it’s now part of a quilt, it will slightly pull at that stitching – giving your quilt maximum crinkleage.

Thank you.

8. Pat McNally
    Pat McNally

I can’t get into the fabric requirements…it keeps telling me to sign up again and again..I did sign up again and again..It is a very irritating feature. Thanks for offering this pattern to all the quilters…I hope I will be able to get all the patterns and the fabric requirements..

Hello Pat,

Thank you for reaching out. Please check your spam and junk folders as well. I am sorry to hear your frustrations. On this page you do not have to sign up again. To the bottom left hand side you will see the Weekly challenges. The highlighted blue weeks when those are unlocked. You can click on that week and then download the pattern. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thank you!

9. Hendrika Tibbits
    Hendrika Tibbits

I did sign up for the challenge but have not had an email with the week one pattern at all. I could download the requirements and have bought the fabric….is there a problem? Or is this only for USA members?
    Cheers, Hendrika

Hello Hendrika,

Thank you for contacting us. Please make sure to check your spam and junk folders as well. Other wise this page does give you access to the current available blocks too.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

ALICE

I signed up three different times. Never received an email. Finally some of the ladies directed me to look under “files”. Couldn’t find that either. I did find it under the NQC Facebook. 1st week looks difficult. Not sure I understand the directions. But will give it a try.

Hello Alice,

Thank you!

10. Shelley
    Shelley

New to all of this, I’ve never done or seen an appliqué before. Will there be a video of someone showing us what to do?

11. VICKIE
    VICKIE

Excited to begin the challenge! I usually quilt small stuff – mug rugs, table runners, placemats. To expand my skills I joined the quilt block challenge. The snowflake appliqué definitely challenged me.