Can I Mix Old and New Fabrics?

Ask an Expert Banner NQC

NQC Question

I have inherited some hand piecing work from my mom. They were probably pieced during the 1920s or 30s. I’m thinking of making borders from new fabric (with an older, heirloom look), but I am a little concerned about incorporating old and new because of strength, durability, etc. What do you think?

Submitted via email

NQC Answer

What a great treasure to inherit! Depending on what condition the fabrics are in now, they should be okay to sew together with newer fabric. Adding the newer fabrics as borders may also help add stability to the older pieces.

As far as durability goes, I probably wouldn’t use the older fabrics on anything other than a wall hanging though, as repeated use may just break down the fabric. We’d love to see what you come up with – please share a photo when you have them ready!

Related links:

Quilt Care Part 1: Cleaning Heirloom Quilts
How to Make a Quilt Border: Cutting and Measuring
Guidelines for Creating Great Quilt Borders

Do you have a quilting question you’d like answered by an expert? Email your question to editor@nationalquilterscircle.com or reach out to us on Facebook.

Please note: questions may be edited for clarity and relevance.

15 Responses to “Can I Mix Old and New Fabrics?”
  1. Betty

My experience is that many of the newer quilt fabrics are from China and shrink more than they did two decades or more ago. That would also be a concern of mine and not just the strength of the fabric. Because of things like this I preshrink my fabrics unless I am using precuts like jellyrolls or charm packs. They I don’t like to preshrink anything. For me it varies as to what I feel I must do to still get a great finished product.

2. Jean

I have inherited a hexagon quilt top from my mother that was probably hand pieced together in the1940 and 1950s. She did not finish it. I also have some hexagons already cut by her found in a box. I am trying to finish the top. I need the best way to finish this with a binding. I am returning to quilting after being absent for 25 years! I would like to finish this before winter for my older sister’s birthday. Thanks for any suggestions. Jean

3. Ellie

I found a quilt top that my grandma started before I was born. I arrived 6 weeks early so it was never finished. I found it in a box an she told me this story so I put it up. The quilt top was quite finished so I finished it an quilted it when I was 45 years old.

4. Sandra Morris

HELP I have wanted to sew a quilt for many years. I went out and purchased a new machine and I need a simple one to start. I was thinking a scrap quilt but I really need basics and do not know where to start. By the way I suffered a fall 4 years agao and I am legally blind. I need a easy one to start and do not k me to start. PLEASE HELP ME GO FROM HERE THANK YOU SO MUCHnow how to start. what kind would be best for

Hi Sandra. A scrap quilt is definitely a great place to start, and you don’t even necessarily need a pattern for that. Some people construct scrap quilts by randomly sewing together strips of fabric and then cutting that down to a preferred size- like a 6 1/2″ block, and then sewing the blocks together. Another easy pattern that you can start with is a 4 or 9 patch. They doesn’t require large pieces of fabric and are fairly easy to construct. Here is a great video to get you started:
      Hope this helps!

5. Sandra Morris

6. Doris CASEY

do I have to have a working Printer to take the classes , mine is not working , at the time ,I have to wait for my Grandaughter to visit me to get it going again

Hi, Doris. No, a printer is not required. The material is all accessible online. If you have any further questions, please contact us at 1-855-706-3538.

7. Marie Roberts

Wanted to ask about laundering jelly roll fabric, I emailed a major supplier and they said not to wash strips, they would disintegrate., well next emai went unanswered when I asked how do you control uneven shrinkage in finished work that needs washing( ie/ table runners, place mats, quilts, etc). What I did do is wash a few strips 10-15 at a time inside lingerie zip bag and then air dry, so far so good.

Hello Marie,

Using a lingerie or other laundry bag for washing pre cut fabrics is a great idea and what I would have suggested as well!

8. lyndastewart

I have some old hand Embroidered napkins, tablecloths, and scarves I would like to make into a memory quilt. I am thinking it would be best to use pellon sf101 fused to back for support and then border with jelly roll fabric. Any suggestions or tips? I’m relatively new to sewing. Thanks

Hello,

Using a stabilizer of the fabrics is a great idea! I would also recommend that everything, including the jelly roll fabric, is pre washed prior to using it. This way nothing should shrink more or less than another area-causing ripples or puckers.